Is my inner-tube too big?

rfretwell
rfretwell Posts: 30
edited October 2013 in Workshop
My cheap and cheerful rims and tyres are '700 (622)'. My cheap tubes are boxed as '700' but when fitted (almost) there is too much tube for the rim.

Measuring the damn things and calculating the circumference suggests that they're ~50mm to big, there's certainly too much tube.

Being a newby (after a brief 47 year break) it may be me but I can't see where. Any thoughts?

Comments

• pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    you are putting too much air in before putting the tube in the tyre at a guess
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • Nah,thanks but it ain't that; just putting the flaccid tube on the rim and there's a gap between the two, i.e. the tube doesn't fit snugly into the rim.
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    Just wondering if you've got the wrong width tubes.

There will be a range on the box - something like 18 / 25 (that's mm's).

The tire width (should be on the sidewall) needs to be in that range.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    rfretwell wrote:
    Nah,thanks but it ain't that; just putting the flaccid tube on the rim and there's a gap between the two, i.e. the tube doesn't fit snugly into the rim.

Absolutely brilliant - if it was intentional then Sir, you are a legend and a wit. Oscar Wilde eat your heart out.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Bump as the above comment is too good to lose.
  • You've lost me Yossie; what does 'bump' mean.

It was intentional as far as describing, as best as I could, what was happening; any other connotation of flaccid and rim is for a different kind of forum (it was the title of a dirty magazine in the 60s/70s as I recall).