Lesson Learned- Bike Mechanic

macroadie
macroadie Posts: 172
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Bought a new saddle at a different bike shop that had the saddle on sale. The bike mechanic was fumbling clamping the bike on the bike stand! This should have been a warning.
Yesterday evening on a 35 mile ride i hit a pot hole and the saddle comes off, screws fall everywhere and it's kind of dark so i can't find them. I had to put the saddle in my pocket and ride 10 miles back to my car standing/saddless. My legs are dead today but lesson learned!

Comments

• upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Hmmm....Nice bike. :shock:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • BR 1979
    BR 1979 Posts: 296
    Hmmm....Nice bike. :shock:
    Agreed, would rather see from the driveside though. Stem also needs lowering.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    macroadie wrote:
    I had to put the saddle in my pocket

As long as it's level it's fine :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Did you put it in the big chain ring and line the tyres up with the valves?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    sort those bars out....
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    You should know better than to go to Halfords!
  • Where's the Saddle?
    "Training is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired. You stop when the Gorilla is tired"
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    People pay to have a saddle fitted!!! ???
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • I can't believe you paid for the saddle to be fitted. It's a quick easy job, and one you should have tools for at home.
  • dwanes
    Even if someone did fit a saddle for me (or any other component for that matter) , I would still double check it before riding.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Good job that you went to a LBS and not Halfords - H's wouldn't have fitted it for you and therefore it wouldn't have fallen off.

As an aside, not sure about the two miss-matched bottle cages that you have.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yossie wrote:
    As an aside, not sure about the two miss-matched bottle cages that you have.

Those cages are fine. Your imaginary pictures are obviously different to mine... ;)
  • mega9
    mega9 Posts: 41
    Are you actually EZY RIDER and have covered your bike in graphics and decals from a superb manufacturer :D
  • macroadie
    smidsy wrote:
    People pay to have a saddle fitted!!! ???

No. Bought the saddle & the shop wanted to fit it.
  • macroadie
    nsmyth1988 wrote:
    Where's the Saddle?
    in my back pocket.
  • macroadie
    I can't believe you paid for the saddle to be fitted. It's a quick easy job, and one you should have tools for at home.
    I did not pay. I bought it and they said they would install it.
  • dwanes
    Ahh, I think this confused people, "Bought a new saddle at a different bike shop that had the saddle on sale"
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    When the saddle fell off, why did you not re-attach it using the 5 or 6mm allen key you carry with you in your back pockets and/or saddlebag?
  • macroadie
    nweststeyn wrote:
    When the saddle fell off, why did you not re-attach it using the 5 or 6mm allen key you carry with you in your back pockets and/or saddlebag?
    when the saddle fell off those screws also fell on the grass and it was around 6pm with some darkness. Spent 20 minutes trying to recover them. Gave up
  • Are the replies to this post the internet equivalent of sitting on a bike with no saddle fitted?

PS - There's something wrong with my PC cause I can't download the photo of the bike; will you repost it please?
  • macroadie
    nweststeyn wrote:
    The saddle screws fell on the grass and could not locate them. It was getting dark so i gave up.
  • macroadie
    Are the replies to this post the internet equivalent of sitting on a bike with no saddle fitted?

PS - There's something wrong with my PC cause I can't download the photo of the bike; will you repost it please?

huh?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    BR is a bit like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Some times you can come on here and get loads of helpful replies. Other times you get a mixture of sarcasm, abuse, surrealism and in-jokes. It's what keeps me coming back for more.

That and the mind-numbingly tedious job I'm meant to be doing...