New wheels - can't get into smallest cog

Murnau
Murnau Posts: 23
edited October 2013 in Workshop
I've fitted some Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels onto my Tiagra 10-speed, but can't get the gears to shift down into the smallest cog (on the rear cassette). I've used the spacer which is needed for Shimano 10 speeds, and I've let out the limit "H" screw, as well as loosening the barrel adjuster. It gets close, but no matter how much I loosen off it's not quite dropping in. Has anyone got any ideas what's going wrong?

Comments

• If the cassette is also Tiagra then you should not use the spacer - quite likely that's your problem.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    +1, the Tiagra 10 speed cassette has the spacer built in
  • Murnau
    Murnau Posts: 23
    Ah - there was a note with the spacer saying you needed to use it for 10 speed Shimano sprockets - I thought it was a bit confusing. I'll try it without. Thanks for the advice.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Could just be the hub spacing is slightly different.

If the spacer idea does not fix it you may need to adjust the mech travel to allow the chain to reach the extremes.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Murnau wrote:
    Ah - there was a note with the spacer saying you needed to use it for 10 speed Shimano sprockets - I thought it was a bit confusing. I'll try it without. Thanks for the advice.

It should really have said "use it for 10 speed Shimano cassettes (105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace) but not the new Tiagra 10 speed which does not require a spacer"