Brompton World Champs

memsley89
memsley89 Posts: 247
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Apologies if this has already been covered (I googled and hunted through amatuer race)
I'm also aware it was over two months ago, but i've been offline :oops:

Who raced and how did we all do!?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @Issy to thread. She did quite well, I hear
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Ha yes, I somehow managed to win the women's race. :D

TGOTB was hot on the tail of Hutch, and I think BromyG did well!

Did you race? Seems like ages ago!
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Didn't GreenBrompton make the podium?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Was an awesome ride from GB, for a well-deserved N+1

I was 5th, but Hutch had quite a time buffer on me; I don't think he has to start worrying quite yet...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • A shameless excuse to plug my mate's clever Brompton carrying handle. I told him he should try to get a Cyclo-cross race added to the world champs as a way of plugging his handle, but he didn't seem convinced.

http://www.offyerbike.com/
  • tgotb
    clever Brompton carrying handle
    Sure I'm missing something, but why is holding the handle better/easier than grabbing the frame tube itself?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • TGOTB wrote:
    clever Brompton carrying handle
    Sure I'm missing something, but why is holding the handle better/easier than grabbing the frame tube itself?

No idea, mate, as I've never tried to carry a Brompton. If I was to take a guess, however, I'd say that the tube diameter would be a bit large and potentially slippery for those of us who don't have giant hands. I do know that's not why my friend created his handle, though. It came about after his second saddle split from carrying his bike in the method advised by Brompton. He made the handle for himself, others asked him where he got it from, and so he put it into production. It's just a little side project of his, but it's getting great feedback. He was telling me that, although he didn't go to the World Champs himself, enough people there were using his handle that they were spotted by Brompton and the following Monday he received an email from them asking if they could have some freebies for their staff. Cheeky sods!

Just out of interest, are you allowed to customise your bikes at the World Champs? Change the gearing/clipless pedals, that kind of thing?

I've come across a couple of Brompton riders on my commute who I've really had to work hard to keep up with on my road bike; maybe it was one of you guys?

The new Covent Garden flagship store's looking good. I almost want an excuse to buy one.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Dunno about the World Champs, but I have SPDs on my Brompton. The only down side is that the "folding pedal" doesn't fold (obviously), so it's not as neat a package when collapsed.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I'd say that the tube diameter would be a bit large and potentially slippery for those of us who don't have giant hands

Nice phraseology.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • I'd say that the tube diameter would be a bit large and potentially slippery for those of us who don't have giant hands

Nice phraseology.

frankie-howerd-comedian-sucked-in-cheeks.jpg
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    My immediate reaction was to suggest using two like the rest of us.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • tgotb
    Just out of interest, are you allowed to customise your bikes at the World Champs? Change the gearing/clipless pedals, that kind of thing?
    Clipless pedals seemed pretty standard at the front of the field, and it looked like quite a lot of people had modified their gearing too. Tri bars are specifically forbidden. I did spot someone using imaginary tri bars, but I was terrified enough holding the bars properly...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    10067194754_24ed28b675_z.jpg

I went clipless, on a borrowed m-type steel 3speed (which was actually more 2speed!)
    I rested my forearms on the tops, and looped my wrists over the levers...
    it worked, although I was significantly bruised!

12 seconds off hutch... I'll get him next year.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    A shameless excuse to plug my mate's clever Brompton carrying handle. I told him he should try to get a Cyclo-cross race added to the world champs as a way of plugging his handle, but he didn't seem convinced.

http://www.offyerbike.com/

Nice solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I've been carrying mine by the seat or frame for 8 years and havent had a problem yet. The beauty of a brompton is that you don't need to carry it far at all. You either ride it or wheel it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • memsley89 wrote:
    10067194754_24ed28b675_z.jpg

I went clipless, on a borrowed m-type steel 3speed (which was actually more 2speed!)
    I rested my forearms on the tops, and looped my wrists over the levers...
    it worked, although I was significantly bruised!

12 seconds off hutch... I'll get him next year.

That's a really pretty medal. Congratulations!