Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I thought I might ask.

He's probably really ANGRY because it's taken until the afternoon for any fecker to ask :twisted:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    today I am fine, thank you for askin' :D

Yesterday I was a touch Fcuckin' annoyed

So that you don't think I am a manic depressive and have to be spoken too very carefully so that others that aren't suffering from a mental health issue take offense on my behalf, I will explain the source of my anger...

I covered my Isetta with a cotton sheet and a plastic tarp because it was due to rain off and on for two days and wanted to protect the lovely restored paint from water damage the delicate little flower :roll:

Took the cover off yesterday and the cotton sheet was soaking wet, I guess the uv has affected the tarp, and most panels on the car have micro blisters in the paint like a bad case of german measles! The water had lifted the paint in tiny bumps, thousands of them on each panel. So I spent the rest of the day cursin'.

Only a complete bare metal re-spray will put it right :cry:

DSC02331.jpg

Part two to follow...
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • seanoconn
    Couldn't you put it in the garage?

The paint shouldn't do that surely?
  • team47b
    ...part two...

I googled micro blisters and apart from trapped moisture during spraying, which it wasn't, it is quite common if you use a car cover to get blistered paint if the surface is wet and warm and the moisture cant escape it soaks into the paint and can go down as far as the metal surface!

I was hoping that, contrary to popular wisdom, if paint is porous then if it can go in and it can evaporate out,where was I gonna' get an oven big enough?

Where was I going to get 32c for about 6 hours each side :D

The forecast after overnight showers is for 10 days of clear sunshine with afternoon temperatures of 32c ...result :twisted:

After some sun morning one side has virtually returned to normal, the bumps are going and not really leaving any marks behind.

So I am now back to being in a good mood so you can say whatever the fark you like to me, in fact I may even start to spread cheer over in commuting chat, and let's face it... :wink:

DSC02336.jpg
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aww poor you... We're pleased that you can share it with the group. Be assured that we really do care and we all love you very much...
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Jesus wept! Mikey will be calling for a group hug next. :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    If you insist!
  • team47b
    I like John Humphries as much as the next man...unless the next man is Mikey :D
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    Should have consulted the trattor man.

Tiny blisters in the paint can sometimes be caused by overly thick application of paint allowing the outer skin to dry before the solvent has evaporated from underneath. Often caused by DIY paint sprayers.

I am presuming it is two pack? I hope it is 2k - removal of the top lacquer coat and re-spraying may prevent it in future.
    The heat under the tarpaulin has re-activated the solvents which didn't fully evaporate during th eoriginal drying/baking? process - the paint was too thick and for such a small car, someone was in a real hurry.
    Have you now given the car a good waxing with a Polymer based liquid wax? DO NOT USE Mer or some of the 'wow' marketed waxes, they contain solvents and you will fade the paint in time. Autosmart or AutoGlym Polymer polishes will do the trick. I doubt whether a newly painted car in a traditionally dry environment away from the sea with proper wheel arch and underbody seal would object to a rain shower or two. Besides which, why aren't you keeping it in a garage?
    Last, if no garage, get yourself a proper car cover - you can get them custom made. They are light and will not cook the paintwork.

Let me know if you want a lesson in proper waxing - do not slap it on and forget 'wax on wax off T47b san' bollox.

PS Let me know if you want a lesson in how to suck eggs.

PPS How did you do it exactly?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • arran77
    Sh1t me Pinarello that almost sounds like you know what you're on about :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    Trust me it's bollox

Edit. He can suck a good egg though
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,090
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Trust me it's bollox

Trust you ?!!?! FFS. :shock:
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    Jesus arran, I've just noticed you've posted nearly 500 posts in the last two weeks! :shock:

That's a lot of sh!t! :lol:
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Jesus arran, I've just noticed you've posted nearly 500 posts in the last two weeks! :shock:

That's a lot of sh!t! :lol:

I'm going for the boll0x spurting world speed record :wink:

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Trust me it's bollox

Edit. He can suck a good egg though

I hope i am never described as an 'all round good egg' then. :shock:
  • team47b
    PPS How did you do it exactly?

What you say is very true, master paint guru san :D

In this case it is the other way of getting micro blisters, water going in, not solvent/moisture coming out.

I didn't spray it. It was done a couple of years ago. It is not 2 pack, it's cellulose.

It doesn't rain here very often, I have covered the car before, but the water did not get to touch the paint before. I have been working on the body and have removed the wax, also I need to change the seal on the header rail on the sunroof, so I covered it to keep it dry as we were expecting some rain over a couple of days.

The water went through the cover, soaked the cotton dust cover and the car sat for two days with a wet cloth and a outer plastic sheet sealing in the moisture. Add in warmth, 30c, and 88% humidty, and the moisture soaked into the paint and caused it to swell, micro blisters. It was not the paint getting rained on that was the problem, it would not have happened if I had not covered it and sealed in the water, the only parts unaffected were the sides where the wet dust sheet didn't touch the paint.

I panicked, as I thought it was what you described, and a respray was the only solution. But the moisture is coming out now, we are back to clear and sunny 32c, and it is correcting itself.

I will leave it for a week in the sun, and then replace the wax (I use carnuba 'kin hard work wax), and now fit my new sunroof seal, to ensure I don't need to cover it again.

I would be interested to hear your polishing tips Mr P, or anyone else, probably don't want to hear Mr S polishing techniques though :shock:
  • seanoconn
    Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out of mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
  • team47b
    I'll give you a call later, you can check out the breathing technique :shock: