First Post, and help required

MalcW
MalcW Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in The workshop
Hi all. I have recently been given a Carrera Subway 8; well, most of one anyway, by my son. It's in nice condition apart from the fact that it's lacking a rear wheel, seat post and saddle. That latter items should be no problem, but does anyone know where I might be able to find a complete wheel?

Many thanks.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    ebay is good place to start and or try the MTB parts in the classified section on here. You need the right size 26" and with a cassette on with the correct number of gears/ cog as the original so it matches your shifter.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Good condition apart from the missing wheel? I like that description.
    Im good looking apart from my missing attractiveness.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Isn't that the one with hub gears?

I can't find any specs but you probably need a 8 speed hub gear on a 26" mtb rim (and disk brake).

Something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-Alfine-8-spd-Disc-Hub-with-Mavic-317-Rim-8-Spd-Trigger-Shifter-/300978548650?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item4613b82faa

You ought to check your shifter to see how many gears it can do and that the front wheel is mtb size (26"). Or you could experiment with putting a single speed wheel on the back.
  • MalcW
    Good condition apart from the missing wheel? I like that description.
    Im good looking apart from my missing attractiveness.

I know the feeling; I'd be quite handsome if I was better looking.

Craker, yes it is the one with hub gears. I'll check the shifter, and thanks for the link. The bike was going to be dumped, and it's far too good for that - what there is of it that is.
  • As the rear wheel really needs to have both Shimano hub brakes and gears fitted to it, it will be quite expensive buying one even second hand. You might be better off seeing if someone is selling an incomplete Subway 8 on Ebay/Gumtree etc that you can make into one decent bike.
  • MalcW
    You might be better off seeing if someone is selling an incomplete Subway 8 on Ebay/Gumtree etc that you can make into one decent bike.
    I think you're right. Since I don't actually need it, logic suggests that I just sell it for what I can get, but where's the challenge in that?
  • Where's the original wheel gone? If it's just totaled you could still salvage the hub - with gears etc.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Does the frame have fittings for disc brakes or is it rim brake only?
    For discs you need Shimano Aline 8 hub including the cassette arm and the 8-speed Alfine shifter, a Shimano Centre-Lock rotor.
    Rim brake models need Nexus 8.
    There may have been some hub-gear ones as well which use Nexus 8 hub gears.