Chain/rear derailleur problem

arcadian
arcadian Posts: 35
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
As part of building up a new bike yesterday, I returned my Voodoo Hoodoo (2012 model) to it's original spec.

Last part involved putting the original wheel on, I took the cassette off of the current wheel then fitted it to the original Voodoo wheel.
When I put that back in I started having problems - turning the cranks forward meets with some resistance but will pedal , moving the cranks backward will get the chain caught up, seems to stick between the jockey wheels and would come off if I turned more.

I didn't want to spend too much time on fixing it yesterday, but want to give it a go later today. It's got a Shimano Alivio chainset. There wasn't a problem with the same cassette on the previous wheel, but the voodoo wheel spipns freely and pedalling forward on the stand.

Can only think I must have caught some part of the rear derailleur, or maybe twisted a jockey wheel. I can check over the rd this afternoon and check there's no stiff links in the chain, but was hoping someone might recognise the symptoms and point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Have you routed the chain correctly through the rear deraileur - sounds like it may be the wrong side of the deraileur cage between the two jockey wheels
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    incorrect routing of the chain through the mech?

general poor set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown