I went tubeless

ednino
ednino Posts: 684
edited October 2013 in MTB general
...and it was easy :shock:

I'd done a lot of online reading and all the horror stories really put me off so I wanted to share my experience...

a) the tyres were easy to put on
b) the tyres were easy to inflate and didn't have to remove the valve core
c) the tyres sealed pretty much instantly
d) the pressure hasn't dropped at all in 3 days

What was I worried about?? :? I'd heard they were a nightmare to set up

I'm using stans ZTR crest rims, yellow rim tape, Continental Xking 2.2 protection and Continental Revo sealant

Comments

• You've just gor yourself a new job.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you remember to take the tubes out?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    My first attempt was painless too.

ZTR rims, Conti tyres, Superstar yellow tape & valves, Stans sealant, track pump. No problem
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • dedicated tubeless tyres and dedicated rims = no problems (well, apart from getting the tyres on sometimes)

Any other ghetto, conversion or other combo, sometimes works a dream, sometimes doesn't no matter what you do... reckon it has something to do with the phases of the moon... can result in extreme rage and mess.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I am going to have a go this weekend. I reckon theres a 50/50 chance of a drunken Fu@&% Bas%$£"! why didnt I stick to Fu%$@ng tubes rant on sunday night.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1 on the 'do it properly' approach. I've done conversions that were just awful.

I've now got tubeless rims and tubeless ready tyres. I had to put more sealant in last week and was able to reseat them using my trail pump rather than a full size track pump!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've got UST rims and tubeless ready tyres and the "correct" method of inflating didn't work for me but still did it with a track pump in the end
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    My setup didn't work the first time so I put tubes in for a week to get the bead the right shape (rather than all wonky from being in a box) and then they went on without any bother.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I had no problems at all with my old ZTR rims and hutchinson tubless tyres even with a track pump, didnt understand all the fuss. New wheels, mavic rims with Stans rim strips and awful Schwable Fat Albert tyres i was a dribbling, panting wreck i broke a spoke in a fit of rage and the rear tyre blew off the bead and covered my cat and office in sealant. Bought some new Spesh Purgotory tyres and made a ghetto compressor, no issues what so ever!
  • I had a real pain with mine. I have easton ea90xc wheels, new and ust with new ust continental rubber queens. I tried myself, even with the inner tube in for 24hour trick but no joy. Gave in and took them to 2 local bike shops who also couldn't do it! The third bike shop had a high pressure inflator, still no joy! Ended up with two lots of rim tape and they eventually worked :-) tho the wheels are welded and supposedly don't need rim tape, the tyres were 'baggy' apparently.
  • JMcP92
    JMcP92 Posts: 339
    My first attempt was hellish but given what you've said I have to assume it was the tyres. Taped it up and it sealed pretty quick and without leaks, but getting the tyres on and inflated was a horrible job, snapped 2 tyre leavers and took me and 2 of the mechanics at the shop I worked to get them on.
    Was running Crest rims and Maxxis Medusa UST tyres, good for mud and wintery-ness, but getting them on was horrible. Not to mention inflating them, all 3 of us attempted but with no success. Had to go get a compressor.

On the other hand, now I run Easton Haven's and Schwalbe Hands Dampf's amd they're fantastic. Get them on and off with my hands, seals quickly, air in with a floor pump, never leaked - jobs a good'un
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Done some XC in the Malvern Hills yesterday & trail centre today in the Forest of Dean. At 25psi they feel pretty good and so far trouble free.

What should I carry with me, in case I get issues? Big puncture or something.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I carry a tube just in case, however I haven't had a puncture in over a year now so not sure why I still do
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Russyh wrote:
    I carry a tube just in case, however I haven't had a puncture in over a year now so not sure why I still do
    You realise you've just teased the puncture gods? Better pack two spare tubes now
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Russyh wrote:

It will happen one day..... just don't forget to pull out the thorns you've been obliviously collecting over time before you put the tube in :lol:
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    And don't forget to top up the sealant every couple of months. After 3+ months and 750 miles I finally got a puncture that did not seal... because there was no liquid sealant left.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    cyd190468 wrote:
    One little talked about tubless hassle is broken spokes. Admittedly they don't happen very often, but if you snap a spoke at the nipple it's a bit depressing that you have to completely remove all the tubless stuff and start all over again. Especially if you had a bit of trouble getting it to seal in the first place.

Push it back through the tape then put a 'plaster' of tape over the hole, sealing may still be an issue some tyre/rim combos just work better than others
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer