Will other chainsets work with Campag UT BB

not-another-hillǃ
not-another-hillǃ Posts: 1,310
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a Wilier branded FUlcrum carbon 11 speed standard chainset currently on my bike but would like a compact.

I cant afford a Super Record or Record compact so was looking at an FSA set up......however, i cant find any info on the. Campagnolo specific Ultra Torque BB system....

Will other chainsets fit the UT Bottom Bracket set up, or do i need to stick to Campag UT systems?

Alternatively, i suppose its change the BB too?

Any help greatly appreciated.....

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    The UT chainset/BB uses an axle with a Hirth joint in the middle - interlocking teeth held together by a single Allen screw. There are external bearing cups that screw into a traditional threaded BB shell. It's all one piece with the cranks so you can't fit other chainsets.

So if your bike has a threaded BB shell, you would have to buy, for example, a complete FSA system with cranks, axle and cups. I have no experience with the various press fit BB setups but I assume you would still have to buy a complete new system for those as well to get the compact gears you want.
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    the UT has 25mm axle - others are 24mm, i swapped mine out for shimano hollowtech 2 as i wanted a variety of chainsets to be compatible between bikes
    i need more bikes