Tubeless inflation using car spare tyre

stubs
stubs Posts: 5,001
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ordered myself a Stans tubeless kit and been thinking of ways to seat and inflate my tyres after fitting all the gubbins. It occurred to me can I use a car spare tyre and a length of tubing with 2 pump heads on it. One end Schraeder for the car tyre valve and the other Presta for bike tyre. Pump up spare to say 40/50 psi fit presta head to cycle tyre, fit goggles and ear muffs to head and Schraeder to car spare valve, whoosh pop. Hopefully cycle tyre inflates and seats.

Anyone tried this and did it work or did you use sign language to order new windows after everything went BOOM.
Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I kind of used to do the opposite. Used to dive in a remote spot with lots of deep sand, so deflated the Landies tyres and used an air tank with a schrader connector to pump them back up when I got to the road again.
    It worked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what you are suggesting is no real different to using a compressor. the only issue is will there be enough volume.
    as above common sand driving get out of do-dah fix.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Interesting idea, and in theory it should work. You might want to fit some sort of tap in (or just bend and pinch) the hose so you can control the flow of air.
    Oh, and video it for the rest of us, just in case it does go wrong :twisted:
  • stubs wrote:
    Ordered myself a Stans tubeless kit and been thinking of ways to seat and inflate my tyres after fitting all the gubbins. It occurred to me can I use a car spare tyre and a length of tubing with 2 pump heads on it. One end Schraeder for the car tyre valve and the other Presta for bike tyre. Pump up spare to say 40/50 psi fit presta head to cycle tyre, fit goggles and ear muffs to head and Schraeder to car spare valve, whoosh pop. Hopefully cycle tyre inflates and seats.

Anyone tried this and did it work or did you use sign language to order new windows after everything went BOOM.

cant see any reason why it wouldn't work, just not sure why you would want to ? cant you just get a decent styrump pump there only about 20 quid

you wont get the pressure as high in the bike tyre as it is in the car Tyre, as soon as they are at the same pressure the transfer of air will stop, so,,, about 35 psi at a guess if you start of at 50
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Ah, good, some one willing to conduct experiments for the benefit of home bike mechanics everywhere.

Try the ghetto car tyre seating method too: ignite a small amount of butane injected into the side of the tyre.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I built and use a ghetto tubeless compressor, is so simple and works each time every time. Happy to post pics of my setup if anyone wants it.
  • stubs
    jimothy78 wrote:
    Interesting idea, and in theory it should work. You might want to fit some sort of tap in (or just bend and pinch) the hose so you can control the flow of air.
    Oh, and video it for the rest of us, just in case it does go wrong :twisted:

Good idea I think I have a 15mm stop valve in the bits box in the shed. Maybe even the bits to make it work by remote control whilst I hide behind the shed :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Have you tried a track pump?? it works for me
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • stubs
    So far got all the bits just need to put it all together and test it. Listen out for a eargesplittenloudenboom in west. Lancs tonight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I look forward to reading your obituary.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    stubs wrote:
    So far got all the bits just need to put it all together and test it. Listen out for a eargesplittenloudenboom in west. Lancs tonight
    Shouldn't explode, I use larger Scuba tanks to top up smaller ones and am even able to mix gases using pressure equalization. The real question is will you get enough pressure to successfully bed them in.
  • stubs
    One for the numberalogicalmaths spods amongst you. whats best to use a space saver spare that can be inflated to 95psi or the standard 225/45x16 spare that can be inflated to 45 psi. The space saver looks roughly half the size of the full size job. So using the squaw on a hippopotamus theory which one is best to use for my inflatobomb.

Oh and dont say use a track pump wheres the fun in that.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,674
    Using the Combined Gass Law that states:

“ The ratio between the pressure-volume product and the temperature of a system remains constant. ”
    For comparing the same substance under two different sets of conditions, the law can be written as:
    p1V1/T1 = p2V2/T2

Estimating that your car tyre has 20x the volume of the bike tyre (car volume = n; Bike volume = n/20 thus total combined volume = 21n/20) then the pressure drop will be 20/21 of 45psi or roughly 43psi provided that T remains the same and you dont leak any of the volume. The pressure will equalise in both tubes at this new lower pressure.

So - no bang.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.