Female Oakleys and custom Oakleys

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Want to get my wife some Oakleys for Christmas but am a bit confused by range.
Ideally I think RadarLock Path in matt black with red socks and team red icon, but am not sure if these come in a smaller female frame.

You can find them in the women's section, but they have the same code number as when you locate them in the mens, and nothing in the spec mentions that any of them are womens.

Are the asian ones smaller than the womens (if indeed the womens are a different size)?

What have you guys found works for smaller/female heads? My Radar Paths are too big for the Mrs.

I am also thinking of getting some custom ones for myself and this allows an inscription on one of the lenses.
Have something in mind but wondered if anyone had any cool ideas (or you could just be rude ;-) ) what to put on them?

Comments

• I'm completely baffled by their range but the guy in the Covent Garden Oakley store said the Asian frames just have different dimensions around the nose piece rather than being a different size. They did seem a little clueless in there though. Sorry that doesn't help a great deal.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    When I was on an Oakley shopping frenzy I did manage to find a website that suggested what face size they were, it might have been cyclestore, oakley outlet, or even the Oakley US page where they have reviews - think I googled something like "Model + face size"

I have a small face, and find that the half jackets and split jackets (Small version of Jawbone) fit me fine - additionally the Monster Pup (Small version of Monster dog) also fits me fine.
    I also bought some bottle caps which fit me fine - happy to take some width measurements on those if that would help, although if you are after a radar style Oakley that may not work.
    Re inscription - I nearly ordered some Split jackets before I got lucky with some for sale on here, and I was considering on the Polarised lenses, simply spelling Polarised correctly ;-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Want to get my wife some Oakleys for Christmas but am a bit confused by range.
    Ideally I think RadarLock Path in matt black with red socks and team red icon, but am not sure if these come in a smaller female frame.

You can find them in the women's section, but they have the same code number as when you locate them in the mens, and nothing in the spec mentions that any of them are womens.

They are the same. There isn't a women's specific, smaller Radarlock.
    Carbonator wrote:
    Are the asian ones smaller than the womens (if indeed the womens are a different size)?

They aren't smaller, just a different shape (if that makes sense). Explained here...

http://uk.oakley.com/asian-fit
    Carbonator wrote:
    What have you guys found works for smaller/female heads? My Radar Paths are too big for the Mrs.

You could try the edge lens, that might help. Or failing that maybe Fast Jacket, Flak Jacket, Half Jacket or Commit? Unfourtunately, the best thing to do is go to one of the Oakley shops and try lots of pairs on.
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am also thinking of getting some custom ones for myself and this allows an inscription on one of the lenses.
    Have something in mind but wondered if anyone had any cool ideas (or you could just be rude ;-) ) what to put on them?

No idea! :D
  • I've a narrow noggin and I've found the straight arm/Asian fit Radars a much nicer, snugger fit than the standard model, which waggled around all over the show.
    That said, I've found the Radarlocks are a better fit than the standard Radars too.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Scalpel fit my small face, got them from Eyewear Outlet good savings to be had and kosher goods.
  • jaxf
    jaxf Posts: 109
    I have a very small head (10th centile) and Oakleys are my sunglass of choice for ski mountaineering, but they must not slip down the face, and that is a big issue - almost all do, including within a model. I wind up looking like a weirdo, trying on pair after pair, looking down and vigorously shaking my head having first doused myself with a bottle of water to emulate sweat, and with my ski helmet on and off so I can see if the legs are comfortable under it, as well as with just a skull cap. Almost all shop assistants visibly sidle away ......

Sadly, if your wife has a small head, you may have to resort to an IOU and a visit to the shops with her after Xmas.

BTW, for cycling, Endura do an excellent pair of plastic glasses in lots of colours for different sorts of light, £14 and with a range 'for the smaller head' - so good and so cheap that I now have 3 pairs - sun, pink and pale blue - and they have replaced my Rudy Project glasses in my affections, as they are also beautifully lightweight, so no matter how long I cycle for, no more sore tops of my ears. (princess and the pea syndrome)
  • Before you commit please read this thread in terms of customisation and spares especially in the uk. Make sure you read to the end.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12758647
    Specialized Enduro 2010 -custom
    Specialized Stumpjumper Elite 2009
    Specialized Hotwalker - start them young

Jamis Xenith Comp - Road