First Road Bike

Bado72
Bado72 Posts: 3
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
I am looking to make the transition from Mountain to Road bike.Having looked at loads of bikes I quite fance the Willier GTA 105.My only concern is its climbing as it has an 11-25 cassette.My LBS have told me they would fit an 11-28 cassette if I wantedbut is there a reason why it comes as standard with a 25.

Thanks Mark

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited October 2013
    Go for it with the 11/28 option, nothing wrong with the 25 option but harder work on the hills assuming it's 39/53 front.
    34/50 front with 11/28 back is still a bit easier than with an 11/25 on the back.
  • Bado72
    Bado72 Posts: 3
    Sorry forgot to mention the front it a 50-34.
  • diamonddog
    Just edited my original post to cover that. :)
  • diamonddog
    Nice bike by the way. :)
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Just gone the same route, liked the look of the Willier but ended up with a Cube Agree which I've had a for a month. Loving it.

It came stock with a 50/34 and 12/30 on the rear, no long hills around here so after a couple of weeks figured I'd be better off 11/28 as I was getting nowhere near the 30. Got a great deal on an Ultegra 11/28 and what was most noticeable is the shifting, way better than with the stock low-end Shimano cassette the bike came with (and a full 100g lighter). If you change the cassette and it's an option, even if theres a small upchrarge, it's well worth going Ultergra if my experience is anything to go by.
  • Don't worry about the gearing. Road bikes do not need gears as low as mountain bikes. 34x25 is a very low gear (similar to 39x28) as it is, but if you need any lower, go for 12-14 as your smallest cog, as this will give you a better spread of gears.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Don't worry about the gearing. Road bikes do not need gears as low as mountain bikes. 34x25 is a very low gear (similar to 39x28) as it is, but if you need any lower, go for 12-14 as your smallest cog, as this will give you a better spread of gears.

Dunno where exactly you live Simon but I need my 28 here in Shropshire, not all the time, but it's a godsend for certain hills :D

B0ll0x to all that MTFU sh!te n'all :twisted:
  • 34x25 is a very low gear
    ... here we go again :roll:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Canny lad wrote:
    Don't worry about the gearing. Road bikes do not need gears as low as mountain bikes. 34x25 is a very low gear (similar to 39x28) as it is, but if you need any lower, go for 12-14 as your smallest cog, as this will give you a better spread of gears.

Dunno where exactly you live Simon but I need my 28 here in Shropshire, not all the time, but it's a godsend for certain hills :D

B0ll0x to all that MTFU sh!te n'all :twisted:

The fact that certain hills require really low gears doesn't mean that they aren't really low gears. There's only so much lower that gears go, even on bikes that can carry luggage heavier than the rider. Cycling is a game of fitness, not strength. Without electrical assistance, a couple of extra teeth isn't going to make the difference between a complete beginner getting up a serious climb in one go and not; even a triple and a 34 cog isn't a substitute for fitness. There's nothing wrong with opting for a 28 cog, whatever you have at the front, but you get a couple of bigger jumps, which are a minor nuisance if when your fitness improves you end up not needing it.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Thats the trade off a closer range of gears with less noticeable jumps v a wider range of gears with more noticeable jumps which will get less fit / experienced riders up hills more easily. Just depends on peoples personnal preference. Coming from mountain biking my compact road bike currently has a 12-30 cassette which to be honest would be better replaced with 11-28 or even shorter but I will carry on until I am sure exactly what I want.
  • simple go for the 11-28, my first bike had a 11-25 and dont get me wrong it was manageable but on some climbs i was crying out for a 28 rear cog, a car would blow up going up a 30% hill in 5th, so will your legs if you have'nt got the gears
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I agree with SM on the 11-25 being low enough etc.
    If you have a lower gear, you just use it because it is there IMO.

That said, if they are going to change it for free there is no harm in trying it. Cassettes wear out anyway and are easily changed.

What spec is the stock cassette (i.e. Sora, tiagra, 105 etc.)? As has been said, its worth making sure a replacement one is at least 105 or better still Ultegra.

Not sure the 11 sprocket is necessary so how about a 12-27 if its a 105 they put on.
    That would give a little extra help with hills, no huge jumps in gears, and still look aesthetically pleasing.

If you get bitten you will probably end up buying a faster set of summer wheels, so you could put an 11/12-25 on those if you feel the 27/28 is redundant at that point ;-)