Loose headset cap

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited October 2013 in Workshop
The cap on top of the headset on my road bike has come loose. Can I just tighten it back down, or should I do some sort of partial disassembly pre-tensioning malarky? :?:

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as it does nothing after the stem bolts have been tightened you could actually remove it.

check for any play if none just nip it up.

if there is play you will need to preload the bearings again, losen stem bolts tighten top cap bolt (preload bolt) tighten stem bolts. ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • graeme_s-2
    Brilliant, thanks. I'll give it a proper look this evening and check for play.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bear in mind that on assembly they only need tightening enough to preload the headset bearings, so don't go all gorilla on it. Some are made of quite flimsy stuff to prevent you from overtightening and buggering the bearings.

Or take it off and stick a gerbera in there.
  • graeme_s-2
    Didn't get a chance last night (it's my nice bike that has the loose headset cap, not my daily commuter), but I'll just screw it back down enough to stop it rattling about.

I'll be honest I thought it was the headset that was screwed, so was quite pleased to discover it was just the cap that had worked loose.
  • graeme_s-2
    I've tightened the cap back down, but I've got a bit of side-to-side play (if I poke it with my finger I can wiggle it maybe 1mm in any direction) here:

Thoughts?
  • nicklouse wrote:
    as it does nothing after the stem bolts have been tightened you could actually remove it.

check for any play if none just nip it up.

if there is play you will need to preload the bearings again, losen stem bolts tighten top cap bolt (preload bolt) tighten stem bolts. ride.

....If it has play you need to do the above - to add, the top cap bolt isn't 'test your strength' just tighten enough to remove the play.
  • nicklouse
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I've tightened the cap back down, but I've got a bit of side-to-side play (if I poke it with my finger I can wiggle it maybe 1mm in any direction) here:

Thoughts?
    you might have something missing. BUT being able to move that sideways means nothing.

only be concerned if there is movement in the steerer.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • graeme_s-2
    nicklouse wrote:
    you might have something missing. BUT being able to move that sideways means nothing.

only be concerned if there is movement in the steerer.
    I'm also able to rotate it, and if I pull on the front brake and push and pull I can feel something moving. I'll have a go at taking it apart tomorrow.
  • nicklouse
    if your steerer is moving in the headset then either the top cap has not been tightened correctly or you are missing something.

that part you show is not the top cap. it is just a spacer, tapered.
  • graeme_s-2
    Originally the top cap (the bit that sits on top of the stem with a bolt in the middle of it) was loose and rattling about. After posting here I tightened it up, and the top cap no longer moves. The bit I highlighted in the photo still moves about slightly, although I hadn't realised it was just a tapered spacer. Yes, the steerer does move slightly in the headset.
  • nicklouse
    ok then you might be missing a bit. but if the headset/Fork has not been messed with/changed/been in bits then they can not be anything missing and it comes down to poor adjustment. undo stem bolts. adjust preload. do up stem bolts.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'd check the star nut (or expander if carbon steerer) hasn't slipped up the steerer.

But if not, it wouldnt hurt to just loosen the stem bolts, tighten the cap screw and then tighten the stem bolts again.

If you hold the front brake and try and move the bike forwards and backwards see if there is any play in it anywhere.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When you tightened the top cap, did you first loosen the 2 bolts that clamp the stem to the steerer?