Retro fit disc mounts to ti frame?

theDavemeister
theDavemeister Posts: 15
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Got a Lynskey Cooper CX which predates discs, (currently running canti's). Is it possible to find someone legit to weld a disc mount onto the seat stay? Or is there more to it than that?

Have been in touch with Lynskey to ask them but they'd rather sell me a new frame.

Cheers

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Trying to find a Ti welder will be the hard thing. You'll need to supply hubs, discs and callipers so the welder can put the mounts in the right place. Local frame repairer charges £60 labour only, you must supply all parts. Might be easier to buy new frame and sell old one.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Thanks for the replies, guys. Never thought of Enigma but looking at the link £100 is going to be a whole lot cheaper than selling my frame and buying a new one.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    Remember that your frame was made, never to accommodate discs so some reinforcement will be needed so your seat/chain stays can cope with the added forces that a disc caliper will expose them to plus you will need some hose guides putting in place if you want to keep it tidy.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Never thought of Enigma but looking at the link £100 is going to be a whole lot cheaper than selling my frame and buying a new one.
    and then the 30 for realigning the Drop outs. Disc hub spacing is different. and as above all the other extras.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If fitting a seatstay mounted disc, I'd add a diagonal brace between the seatstay and chainstay - I have seen snapped seatstays on converted frames due to the stresses of the brake.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..