Front end judder

stubydoo2.2
stubydoo2.2 Posts: 9
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, so not looking for any definitive answer here, but thoughts, ideas. Ive just built a Genesis Core with a rigid on one fork, (pics and full spec here: viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12943298 ) and have noticed front end judder under heavy braking, it doesnt feel like a total disaster but havent even ridden anything particularly hairy yet. Cant find anything obviously loose or play in the headset or anything. Is it going to get worse on the rough stuff? Anything i can try to diagnose the problem?

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Is it going to get worse on the rough stuff?
    it depends on what it is.
    who built it?

work your way through the possible movement points.

chech the headset at two angles. check wheel bearings etc V brakes sliding on posts...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The bike shop fitted the headset, fork, stem, cups were already in the frame. ill check those bits and report back, cheers mate.
  • nicklouse
    TBH i would get the LBS to give it a once over then,
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Sounds like the there could be some play or bend while using the front brakes. Try filing the pads a bit.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • nicklouse
    Sounds like the there could be some play or bend while using the front brakes. Try filing the pads a bit.
    on V brakes?

nope.
  • Could be the small blocks on the pads, if there're that design.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Something is loose, take it to bits and start again, slowly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the replies people, i've gone round with an allen key and there were a few things needed tightening. Going out for a test ride now so if its the same its back to the bike shop. Fingers crossed.