Off Topic - Paypal vs bank transfer

porlyworly
porlyworly Posts: 441
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Selling a watch to a random through a forum and unsure of which method of payment to insist on - Paypal gift or a bank transfer? As the transaction isn't through ebay I won't have any protection as a seller so just wondering if there is any way I can get scammed i.e. the transaction be reversed after I've shipped the watch. How long should I wait to post after the funds show in my account?

Will fund a new set of wheels for my commuter so not completely off topic!
First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross

Comments

• I would probably go for bank transfer: paypal is too easy to reverse. Or just ask for paypal gift ;)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    There is always an element of risk with either way. I would prefer paypal (non gift), as at least your not handing over bank details to a random over t'interwebs.

make sure you get a valid phone number (land line if poss).

when the funds come via Paypal (if its a gift), they can be withdrawn by the recipient straight away, so you could always do that before shipping.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Anyone else care to weigh in? What have people insisted on in the past when selling through the classifieds on here?
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • Personally I would go for a bank transfer.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    All I know is that the paypal user agreement is around twice the length of Hamlet (that is actually true).

This troubles me.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    I always offer both, have sold some fairly high value shoes for £140 on here and the chap opted for bank transfer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rubertoe wrote:
    There is always an element of risk with either way. I would prefer paypal (non gift), as at least your not handing over bank details to a random over t'interwebs.

What details are you actually handing over? Name, account number and sort code. All information that we used to hand out willy nilly on cheques, remember them. I know of no way that this info can be used without your permission for anyone to access your account.
  • pdw
    pdw Posts: 315
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I know of no way that this info can be used without your permission for anyone to access your account.

Clarkson discovered that that's not quite true:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pdw wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I know of no way that this info can be used without your permission for anyone to access your account.

If this is true and the report is accurate, the fault is with the bank and he would get his money back. As I said in my post, we all used to write millions of cheques a day with the exact same information on them.
    As a post script, I can't believe a fraud or fraudster cannot be investigated because of DPA.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Ballysmate wrote:
    pdw wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

If this is true and the report is accurate, the fault is with the bank and he would get his money back. As I said in my post, we all used to write millions of cheques a day with the exact same information on them.
    As a post script, I can't believe a fraud or fraudster cannot be investigated because of DPA.

A DD mandate form only requires the following: account name; account number; sort code; name and address of bank at which account is held; signature and date. The latter would be pretty easy to forge - does anyone check the signature against a specimen? - and if set up over the phone, then they wouldn't even need a signature. So yes, seems accurate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    why don't you get him to Ping it to you?
    FCN = 4
  • DM222
    DM222 Posts: 90
    rubertoe wrote:

make sure you get a valid phone number (land line if poss).

when the funds come via Paypal (if its a gift), they can be withdrawn by the recipient straight away, so you could always do that before shipping.

I do this :wink:
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Twice folk have set up DDs from my business account to pay for mobile phones. One got 800 quid before I spotted it. Bank immediately refunded my money, they're very good at sorting it because it's so common.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!