Winter bike build

LittlePlums
LittlePlums Posts: 139
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
I've got a full Campag Veloce groupset and now the weather is turning a bit autumnal, I'm thinking of getting a frame to chuck it all on for my winter bike/commuter.

Looking around at what is available as a frame only that meets my requirements (clearance for mudguards essential) and that isn't too expensive, all roads are leading towards a Genesis Croix de Fer - unless anyone has any other suggestions? I am aware I could buy a Triban 3 or a Carrera TDF for similar money and swap the components over. I'm sure these are great bikes, but meh. I'd rather put what money I have towards the frame, rather than components I don't want or need.

I'm not much of a fettler and this would be a bit of a project for me, so I wondered if there would be any compatibility issues using Campag bits and pieces on this bike? Apologies if this is a naive question and I probably deserve any derision.

I understand (but don't know for sure) that I would have to forego using disc brakes, which the Croix de Fer is capable of, but for the time being until someone starts making wheels that combine discs compatibility with Campag cassettes, it's not the end of the world. Again, if anyone knows otherwise, I'd be pleased to hear.

Riding is all tarmac, but the quality of this leaves a lot to be desired in some parts.
Pride and joy: Bianchi Sempre
Commuting hack: Cube Nature

Comments