what happens if they say its too small?

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
So my foot is hurting and keep reading about bikefits at cyclefit etc. As it seems to be a dark art.
Was thinking new shoes and some wedges under the cleat, but thinking a bikefit, as your talking near on fit prices for those items. But im worried they will say the bike is too small. viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12939078

If it is I am not in the positionto buy another one and I wont get what I paid for on this one. What do I do?

Comments

• If it's too small then it's likely that you can make it fit through changes. You'll probably have to fork out for a longer stem though. That is unless your frame is way too small.

If you can't be fit to you then flog it on here or eBay or anywhere else really.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just how small would a bike need to be to make your foot hurt ??

You can get longer or higher stems. Longer seat posts.

It might not be ideal but could make a difference.

I don't believe that everyone needs a bike fit. Post some photos up here maybe but we need more info on your position and foot pain ?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    cougie wrote:
    Just how small would a bike need to be to make your foot hurt ??
    I don't believe that everyone needs a bike fit. Post some photos up here maybe but we need more info on your position and foot pain ?
    ^^ This, IMO if you do some research for correct positions for cleats, saddle etc (google/youtube) you could solve the problem without a bike fit, this route worked for me, why not give it a try.
  • In fairness thats what I am trying to do, I always try to think long term though. The pain is in the 5th metatarsal on the right foot, using mavic avenir shoes size 9 I am a size 9. I have moved the cleat in so the foot is futher out last night so going to try that out tonight. May get some wedges however these confuse me as cant figure out how they are installed.
  • diamonddog
    Cycling shoes are the same as any other shoes in respect of fit, most people have slightly different size feet so one foot can always seem to have a problem. TBH it does sound like a cleat positioning issue or a size issue with your shoes as some brands can be a smaller/tighter fit.
  • I had look carbon ti pedals, but they hurt and boufht speedplay love the engagement on these but need to sort the cleats out. Was looking at this varus forefoot thing and possibly maybe the way to go with wedges, but struggle to understand the concept, as how do I put a wedge under the angled part of my foot with out pushing my foot outqards more.
  • diamonddog
    It could be that you need a pedal with a wider base for your foot than the Speedplays give , TBH I have never needed or used wedges so not much help I'm afraid.
  • I have just bought some fizik r1s with heat moldable soles! Maybe they will work
  • diamonddog
    Hope it sorts the problem for you.
  • diamonddog
    edited October 2013
    To get your cleats set try sitting on the edge of a table with your feet dangling and take notice of the way your feet angle (in/out/straight) then set your cleats to the same position (so they sit straight on the pedals).
  • diamonddog wrote:
    To get your cleats set try sitting on the edge of a table with your feet dangling and take notice of the way your feet angle (in/out/straight) then set your cleats to the same position.

I doubt the shoes will but they look nice!

In relation to the above I have read this, so assume my foot angles in at the back does the cleat follow the same angle or is it a case of adjusting thw float to achieve the same effect? My feet angle out the right being more proniunced than the left. So would the cleat maintain a dead straigh position on the shoe (speedplays) and then adjust the float to give the same heel in angle?
  • diamonddog
    edited October 2013
    Set your cleat so it sits straight on the pedal with your foot angled the same when clipped in as when sat on the table thus mimicking your natural foot angles. My foot angles are fairly straight so cleats are set the same.
  • I know I sound like a right div, but if I loosen off the cleat set shoe on pedal and loacate shoe into correct position mark shoe and then refix cleat would that work?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    edited October 2013
    You say your feet are size 9 and so are the shoes, but is it possible the shoe on the affected foot is too tight? (Remember your feet swell when they get hot, and at this time of year you may be wearing slightly thicker socks?)

I managed to give myself metatarsalgia by overdoing it in a new pair of walking boots which were ever so slightly too narrow for me. Felt like I had a golf ball under my foot. Bloody painful, and took 2 weeks on ibuprofen to resolve it.
  • diamonddog
    I know I sound like a right div, but if I loosen off the cleat set shoe on pedal and loacate shoe into correct position mark shoe and then refix cleat would that work?

Should do, a bit of trial and error may be required to get it right.
  • keef66 wrote:
    You say your feet are size 9 and so are the shoes, but is it possible the shoe on the affected foot is too tight? (Remember your feet swell when they get hot, and at this time of year you may be wearing slightly thicker socks?)

I managed to give myself metatarsalgia by overdoing it in a new pair of walking boots which were ever so slightly too narrow for me. Felt like I had a golf ball under my foot. Bloody painful, and took 2 weeks on ibuprofen to resolve it.

This has occured to me, and maybe more prevalent due to wearing thicker socks as trying my winter socks .
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    A bikefit might sort all your issues, it might not. If you're gonna do it, then I reckon go to someone experienced, not just your LBS.

Cleat shims help to make your knees/legs move straight up and down. If you notice your knees brush the top tube when pedalling, then it'll be worth using some shims. I use two under each cleat.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Ignore them! They're just nasty girls and they don't deserve you anyway. In any case, its what you do with it that counts.

(ps. I have only read the title of this thread, not the thread itself, so I may have misunderstood your question... :wink: )
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • diamonddog
    Schoie81 wrote:
    Ignore them! They're just nasty girls and they don't deserve you anyway. In any case, its what you do with it that counts.

(ps. I have only read the title of this thread, not the thread itself, so I may have misunderstood your question... :wink: )
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    You could've just taken the boots off you know ... ;)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    You could've just taken the boots off you know ... ;)

Sadly the pain and the golf ball sensation persisted long after boot removal. Very odd sensation indeed walking barefoot on the carpet and thinking you're repeatedly standing on a large stone.