Boardman Race versus comparables

merchine
merchine Posts: 15
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there,
I'm a first time road bike purchaser through C2W, and I am looking for some advice.
Halfords currently have £85 off the Boardman Race and so coming in at £585 it is a lot cheaper than the other bikes I was looking at, primarily the Trek 1.2 and the Giant Defy 3.
Others who I cycle with own the latter two, so my question is are they truly much of a muchness, or will I regret not getting the T1.2 or GD3?
(I have £700 in vouchers so any savings on the BR would only be spent on accessories anyway).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments

• Join british cycling, get more 10% of the boardman
  • Join british cycling, get more 10% of the boardman

Thanks - seen that but it sounds a bit hit and miss whether it can be used instore on C2W. But yeah, there's that as well.

Although as above, all the money saved will only be spent on a whole host of accessories, as I already have £700 in vouchers.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I don't know how the cycle to work scheme works but the likes of Ribble, Merlin, Planet X and Decathlon do better specced bikes for that kind of price.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    thegibdog wrote:
    I don't know how the cycle to work scheme works but the likes of Ribble, Merlin, Planet X and Decathlon do better specced bikes for that kind of price.

Planet X do cycle scheme but TBH I didn't think there is much of a saving with it, IMO int free is just as good an option. Planet X do a Sab bike with carbon rear end and Tiagra gears for £599, link below.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBS ... _road_bike
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    Don't think you can use any promotional offers with C2W scheme, but I might be wrong. Worth checking though before you commit :wink:

I had a Boardman Race, and for a first road bike thought it was great value and it rides really well too. I didn't get on with the Sora shifters, so upgraded them, but apart from that it was really good. Did over 2000miles on it and it was still going strong when I sold it. I replaced it with a Defy 1, but regret doing that now. This may be down to the different geometry of the frames, but I don't know. Always enjoyed riding the Race. Don't enjoy riding the Defy as much :|
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Halfords seem to have next to no Boardman bikes on their site, anyone know if they are just switching over to 2014 soon or are they no longer selling them?!
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    simonj wrote:
    Halfords seem to have next to no Boardman bikes on their site, anyone know if they are just switching over to 2014 soon or are they no longer selling them?!

almost certainly because they're running down old stock to make way for the 2014 bikes
  • simonj wrote:

Yeah, I went in today and they are bringing out the 2014 range next week.

The Boardman Race is to be discontinued (hence the sale price) but will be replaced by a similar model (I think it's called the Comp again).
  • essjaydee wrote:
    Don't think you can use any promotional offers with C2W scheme, but I might be wrong. Worth checking though before you commit :wink:

I checked today and think that you can - as that's the current selling price they're fairly relaxed about it. They seemed to also allow the 10% British Cycling saving, making it more cheap!
    essjaydee wrote:
    I had a Boardman Race, and for a first road bike thought it was great value and it rides really well too. I didn't get on with the Sora shifters, so upgraded them, but apart from that it was really good. Did over 2000miles on it and it was still going strong when I sold it. I replaced it with a Defy 1, but regret doing that now. This may be down to the different geometry of the frames, but I don't know. Always enjoyed riding the Race. Don't enjoy riding the Defy as much :|

Thanks. I haven't actually ridden it yet, but as long as it *feels* ok I think it will make a great first road bike.

I doubt I'll upgrade any of the parts, but I think it'll do me fine for a couple of years. Then I can see how serious I actually am about this road cycling lark!
  • thegibdog wrote:

Any specific models? As mentioned, I'm toying with getting the Trek 1.2 or GD3, and haven't really looked outside of those at present.
  • I'm at a store and I'm happy to run through C2W and british cycling together, and yeh, the new models are being released in drips and dabs
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    merchine wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Any specific models? As mentioned, I'm toying with getting the Trek 1.2 or GD3, and haven't really looked outside of those at present.
    Planet X have the SAB mentioned above. Merlin have the Sensa Umbria Tiagra, their own MALT-R, Ridley R6-EL, N7even Majors and BeOne Storm. Decathlon have the B'Twin Triban 7 and Ribble have the Sportive 7005.

Don't know too much about the Merlin and Planet X bikes but the Decathlon and Ribble bikes get good reviews, they all get you Tiagra for around £600 too.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    merchine wrote:
    thegibdog wrote:
    Planet X have the SAB mentioned above. Merlin have the Sensa Umbria Tiagra, their own MALT-R, Ridley R6-EL, N7even Majors and BeOne Storm. Decathlon have the B'Twin Triban 7 and Ribble have the Sportive 7005.

Don't know too much about the Merlin and Planet X bikes but the Decathlon and Ribble bikes get good reviews, they all get you Tiagra for around £600 too.

Cheers - I'll have a look at a few of those.
  • I'm at a store and I'm happy to run through C2W and british cycling together, and yeh, the new models are being released in drips and dabs

Good stuff.

Might mean that I can get the new model with the 10% off and still make it competitive.
  • Paper
    Paper Posts: 19
    New range is out tomorrow and should be on their website tomorrow or friday. I am selling a brand new Large Carrera Velos Road bike 2013 £599 retail for £400 but cant understand why I cant post in the sale section, maybe I need to post more as only just joined.