ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Is it that Jack Warner fella?
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The answer's in the question FFS :shock:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    To answer the OPs question; no I don't use a bell. I normally call ahead if I see walkers on the trail.

But surely, this is all about using your 'common'

If you call ahead, and they hear you, walkers will almost invariably look behind and shuffle to one side (or either side) of the trail. If they don't then they probably haven't heard you. Call again and slow down. I find 99% of walkers to be courteous and friendly; after all they're just enjoying the outdoors like us. Of course, there are a few w@nkers about but they are as likely to be bikers as walkers.

And if there are dogs or kids ahead just slow down. I don't want to be sent over the bars because of some daft mutt on a long lead, nor do I want to plough into a youngster.

And, as has been stated, bikers have to give way to walkers which seems reasonable enough. There's room for all in our countryside
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Parp parp!!!

Bizarrely enough, I fixed a small megaphone to the front of my bike - the handset I clipped to my helmet so when I ride up behind people I sound like Arthur Scargill denying that he tried to rip off the NUM.

Essentially knobbly boys should wait behind everyone else as I can't see anywhere that says that people who ride bikes that go zummmmm zummmm zummmm should get priority anywhere (Pro hub ridden by a non pro or not) ....
  • then the damn thing walks in front of you causing a brake lock up

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, but surely the brake lock up was caused by your lack of observation or anticipation, followed by overly zealous application of the brake lever(s)?... :wink:

If someone's got a dog loose where I want to be riding past then I slow right down to pass (out of self preservation and courtesy) - doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong (and who's to say that we've got any more right to be riding on (for example) a towpath than they have to be walking their dog there?), it'll still hurt the same if you fall off. I find that if you slow down and show some courtesy then most people will reciprocate by bringing their dog(s) to heel.
    Really,so on a track that is 6-8ft wide you slow down for every person?Your ride must be so much fun. You really spot a dog in the bushes and hedges,really?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,346
    then the damn thing walks in front of you causing a brake lock up

Just to play...to heel.

Really,so on a track that is 6-8ft wide you slow down for every person?Your ride must be so much fun. You really spot a dog in the bushes and hedges,really?

Woah, easy there fella. Don't get your knickers in a twist. Are you a little 'sore' by any chance ?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    edited October 2013
    then the damn thing walks in front of you causing a brake lock up

Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, but surely the brake lock up was caused by your lack of observation or anticipation, followed by overly zealous application of the brake lever(s)?... :wink:

If someone's got a dog loose where I want to be riding past then I slow right down to pass (out of self preservation and courtesy) - doesn't matter whether you're right or wrong (and who's to say that we've got any more right to be riding on (for example) a towpath than they have to be walking their dog there?), it'll still hurt the same if you fall off. I find that if you slow down and show some courtesy then most people will reciprocate by bringing their dog(s) to heel.
    Really,so on a track that is 6-8ft wide you slow down for every person?Your ride must be so much fun.

I'm guessing that the other people aren't the problem here...

How much fun are you having on an eight foot wide track full of dog walkers anyway, lol? Must take some mad skillz to negotiate an eight foot wide bridle path... Try riding somewhere decent... :wink:
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    You really spot a dog in the bushes and hedges,really?

The dog owner walking down the path carrying a lead that's not attached to a dog might give you a clue - like I said before, lack of observational skills...
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Is it that Jack Warner fella?

[bites] Rob Warner [/bites]
  • Just get a Hope rear hub
  • Never been on a forum with quite so many BMW owners on it
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Never been on a forum with quite so many BMW owners on it
    Is this a pointless statement competition?
    Now and then, a nefarious omphalos has a change of heart about a midwife inside a toothpick.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools