Fitting a tapered fork into a 1 1/8" frame.

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Specialized FSR XC with a traditional type press in cup headset. Is it possible to fit a headset with a 1.5" bottom bearing and 1 1/8" cup to fit the frame?

I had found something on the hope website which in theory would allow it to work, but i didn't know if anyone had tried it in practice or knew of a traditional style headset available in this size?

Here is the bit from the hope site.
http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/ ... 011Web.pdf

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    If you mean "traditional" in the sense that hope uses it in the first of the diagrams on page 3 of that link (34mm headtube inner diameter with bearings located outside of the headtube), then no - the headtube isn't going to be wide enough to accomodate a tapered steerer.

If you're just using traditional to mean 1 1/8" steerer, but have a wider 44.1mm headtube with bearings located within it (second picture), then yes you could use the lower cup labelled H, which should work with a tapered steerer.
  • jimothy78 wrote:
    If you mean "traditional" in the sense that hope uses it in the first of the diagrams on page 3 of that link (34mm headtube inner diameter with bearings located outside of the headtube), then no - the headtube isn't going to be wide enough to accomodate a tapered steerer.

If you're just using traditional to mean 1 1/8" steerer, but have a wider 44.1mm headtube with bearings located within it (second picture), then yes you could use the lower cup labelled H, which should work with a tapered steerer.

That answers that then.

I didn't know if anyone had created a bottom cup that would suit. The hunt continues for forks then.