marcg868
marcg868 Posts: 116
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Looking at dipping my toes into road cycling after mountain biking for 10 years and to help my dodgy knees.

Budget £550 max.

Been looking at Spesh Allez, Giant Defy, Triban 3/5 and Sensa Prima Special.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Go and have a test ride if you can, but at least sit on them and see how they feel. I know nothing about the others, but I bought a Defy this year and I love it! :D
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Yeah a mountain biking mate has just bought a Giant defy. And that seems nice. Not sure of the model number. It's black and this year's model.

I need to see what size I am also. And one more thing, will I be ok with spd pedals with my dodgy knee. Got a torn meniscus which I'm waiting to have repaired
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Definitely go and try them out before you decide.
  • Is it better to go for top end of my budget or start low to see if I like it first and more money for the correct kit. As I can't use my Mtb kit.
  • diamonddog
    I believe if you get the best you can afford you are more likely to use it and get to like it, others may not agree :)

If you have some padded shorts and a helmet etc for your MTB use them and buy bits for the roadie as you go, IMO bib shorts are a good first buy for the road bike, gloves are about £6 then shoes etc when you feel ready.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    I believe if you get the best you can afford you are more likely to use it and get to like it, others may not agree :)

If you have some padded shorts and a helmet etc for your MTB use them and buy bits for the roadie as you go, IMO bib shorts are a good first buy for the road bike, gloves are about £6 then shoes etc when you feel ready.

I only have baggy shorts and pants. I'd like something that covers my legs fully as it will be winter soon. And will probably end up road cycling more in the winter as I can't be bothered winter mountain biking it's slow and a bog fest.

Just need to keep my anger issues under control as I hate dangerous driving.
  • diamonddog
    You can get good bib tights from about £30 maybe less if you look for bargains.
    Just ride on the road and assume all drivers are idiots and you should be OK (count to ten a lot) :)
  • diamonddog wrote:
    You can get good bib tights from about £30 maybe less if you look for bargains.
    Just ride on the road and assume all drivers are idiots and you should be OK (count to ten a lot) :)

Haha I ride motorbikes so will just ignore them. Try and get out early hours or night ride when I start.
  • diamonddog
    Enjoy it.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Enjoy it.
    Will be nice to enjoy the country roads at a more sedate pace and enjoy the scenary. And any excuse to go to A Caff for a brew and cake.
  • Hi and welcome to the addiction, also keep an eye on lidl/aldi for reasonable kit I got a comfy pair if padded tights last year which are still okay.
  • gazman1 wrote:
    Hi and welcome to the addiction, also keep an eye on lidl/aldi for reasonable kit I got a comfy pair if padded tights last year which are still okay.
    It looks addictive and doing two different styles of cycling will keep things interesting. And Orthopaedic consultant has said it will help my knee before he cuts it open again next year.