Frame Size

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
I currently have a 19 inch 2010 Stumpjumper FSR, which is a large according to the internets.

I have have the opportunity to buy a 17.5 inch S Works version of the same frame, same year. This would be a medium.

I'm somewhere between 6ft and 6ft 1. I'd just like people's opinions on whether this would be ridiculous.

On my current frame, I have about 5 inches of standover at the lowest part of the top tube. The medium gives an extra 10mm. My seatpost is 35mm from the minimum insertion line, so with the medium it would be out as far as it's allowed.

The geometry is here and it's the same for both.
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2010/stumpjumperfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp#geometry

Would it be/look ridiculous to ride a medium?
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• I currently have a 19 inch 2010 Stumpjumper FSR, which is a large according to the internets.

I have have the opportunity to buy a 17.5 inch S Works version of the same frame, same year. This would be a medium.

I'm somewhere between 6ft and 6ft 1. I'd just like people's opinions on whether this would be ridiculous.

On my current frame, I have about 5 inches of standover at the lowest part of the top tube. The medium gives an extra 10mm. My seatpost is 35mm from the minimum insertion line, so with the medium it would be out as far as it's allowed.

The geometry is here and it's the same for both.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/archive/2010/stumpjumperfsr/stumpjumperfsrcomp#geometry

Would it be/look ridiculous to ride a medium?

ni it wouldn't be ridiculous , the question is if it fits you or not, ive got a 17.5 hard tail at the same sort of height as you and thats just fine for me. The point in consideration is the smaller the frame, the nearer the bars are to the seat, Specs arnt very long in the top tube to start off with, which is why they have that off set seat post, to get you back an inch, as you clearly cant try it before purchase and it will be a lot of effort to get it to a point you can, id go forward with caution
  • 30mm difference in top tube length will make a significant difference. I'm 6'1" and the large stumpjumper is only just big enough for me. The medium would be way too small.
  • Im 6'1" and ride a 19" Genesis Core and it fits great, used to have a 17" Kona Scab and it was quite cramped, long periods in the saddle were very uncomfortable. Hope this helps.
  • Cheers guys. I went for a wee spin and decided a medium would be way too small. The saddle is all the way back and ideally I want a shorter stem. I could be riding an XL with a 50mm stem and it would be about the same length as now, so a medium would be tiny.
    Delete my fucking account.