Rockshox Dart 2 Lockout 'Service'

PenguinWithHair
PenguinWithHair Posts: 185
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey everyone, so my darts were stuck locked out. Tried to 'service' them, not really being too bothered as I'm looking to eventually replace them anyway. I took them apart and pulled out the plastic lockout unit, which was really difficult to pull out (there's a rubber ring seal so I'm guessing it was difficult because the lockout is engaged?) and I discovered turning the lockout lever did nothing. So I tried removing the bolt, washer and little spring at the bottom and reinstalled it after refilling the upper part of the fork with oil, I figure I'd rather have no lock out and the forks work, than it being stuck locked out. The forks now behave as if the lockout is not engaged but there is almost no rebound, it takes two or three seconds to return spring back up, fine by me as it's better than it was.

Ok so basically, is it safe to ride with the bolt and washer at the bottom of the lockout unit removed? Out of curiosity, am I right to think the lockout is not working because turning the lockout is supposed to disengage the seal held by the rubber ring? By removing that bolt I'm effectively bypassing it?

Appreciate your patience if you've read this far, many thanks! Should really have just studied the manual.

Comments

• I must add, I am usually way more fussy with my bike maintenance, but this is for a bit of a hack bike project - trying to spend as little as possible on it.
  • Nothing..? Is this a "no idea mate" or a "I'm not even bothering this guy's obviously an idiot" situation?
  • I had a Dart 1 on an old bike, to be honest I think i'd invest in a better lighter fork. Mine were rubbish.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tech docs should be on Sram website somewhere.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools