Horse Manure

charliew87
charliew87 Posts: 371
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
The King's Road in London (and bits of Sloane Sq and Knightsbridge) were all caked in horse crap this morning, bucketloads of the stuff.

Assuming it was police horses, not sure why though as neither FFC or CFC played on Sunday.

Do they not have any obligation to clear this up? Smelt horrendous, slippery on a bike and if a dog owner left anything behind they would (rightly) be fined £80!!
Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0

Comments

• I wonder what would happen if we just poo'd on the road when we felt the urge.....
  • BigLights wrote:
    I wonder what would happen if we just poo'd on the road when we felt the urge.....
    Apart from the very strange looks from others?
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Have you seen the poopascoopa needed for horse sh1t :shock:

estw.jpg
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    BigLights wrote:
    I wonder what would happen if we just poo'd on the road when we felt the urge.....

I wonder if this is not the greatest word of all time.

I cycle in and around St' James park, you get used to it.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    There is specific law about dogs fowling, and it's because of parsites in dog poo that can cause amongst other thing blindness in children (google toxocariasis). There is no specfic law covering horses. There maybe scope to talk to local authority about it though see Highways act 1980 "Removal of things so deposited on highways as to be a nuisance etc." http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/149
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • Bought 4 bags of horse sh*t at the weekend for a tenner. Thought it was a bargain until I saw this post.
    Rose Pro DX Cross 3000
    GT Edge Ti
    Ribble Audax
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    5milestogo wrote:
    Bought 4 bags of horse sh*t at the weekend for a tenner. Thought it was a bargain until I saw this post.

Plenty on the roads round here, I'll bag some up and post it to you.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Sketchley wrote:
    There is specific law about dogs fowling,

I thought hunting with dogs was banned?
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    doh!
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • There's not a single commute goes by that I'm not avoiding horse manure. You citified folk have no idea how hard it can be to commute in the countryside....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Sketchley wrote:
    [...] There maybe scope to talk to local authority about it though see Highways act 1980 "Removal of things so deposited on highways as to be a nuisance etc." http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/149

Yup, and it believe that that's the same reg. used to "encourage" farmers to clear up mud left on the roads by their tractors between field ploughings. There's a stretch on my commute that can get a little dicey around this time of year.
  • cje
    cje Posts: 148
    I'm not fussed by horse manure. It certainly isn't as toxic as the canine equivalent. It is slippery when wet though, which coincidentally is the name of an album by Bon Jovi, who are also poo.
  • Sketchley wrote:
    There is specific law about dogs fowling, and it's because of parsites in dog poo that can cause amongst other thing blindness in children (google toxocariasis). There is no specfic law covering horses. There maybe scope to talk to local authority about it though see Highways act 1980 "Removal of things so deposited on highways as to be a nuisance etc." http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/149
    Somebody in 1 of the clubs I ride with got quite ill from horse manure, on a ride in the country he had to ride through a slick of horse sh!t which inevitably sprayed all over the bike and water bottle - next time he took a sip of water he was drinking a cocktail of bacteria. I think he ended up visiting hospital...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • BigLights wrote:
    Dare you! :mrgreen:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,488
    Sketchley wrote:
    Somebody in 1 of the clubs I ride with got quite ill from horse manure, on a ride in the country he had to ride through a slick of horse sh!t which inevitably sprayed all over the bike and water bottle - next time he took a sip of water he was drinking a cocktail of bacteria. I think he ended up visiting hospital...

Without wanting to be mean to this chap, drinking from a bottle sprayed in horse manure is always asking for trouble. Not sure how there was a 'slick' of horse sh!t - it's usually pretty solid lumpy stuff. Cow sh!t on the other hand...
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rjsterry wrote:
    Not sure how there was a 'slick' of horse sh!t - it's usually pretty solid lumpy stuff. Cow sh!t on the other hand...
    You should try riding down my road on a rainy day. Dry sh*t + water = slurry.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • As a rule, if it looks like horse manure, smells like horse manure and tastes like horse manure, it is best to avoid cycling through it......
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • There used to be stiles on the C2C in this area to keep the motorcyclists off the track. They've taken most of them down now to allow horse riders on the track. The trouble is that now it's dark in the mornings you're into the stuff before you realise it. Can't say it bothers me that much - it's the dog muck that makes me gag when it gets all over the bike.
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Without wanting to be mean to this chap, drinking from a bottle sprayed in horse manure is always asking for trouble. Not sure how there was a 'slick' of horse sh!t - it's usually pretty solid lumpy stuff. Cow sh!t on the other hand...

I may have recounted this story previously, but back on my old commute when I rode down 3 odd miles of bridleway (yeah, yeah, yeah - RAPSIT!! :lol: ) A cow had managed to get onto the last stretch and clearly got very scared and ran very fast. To this day I don't know how some of that 'scared' got so damn high in the bushes but the sodding stuff was every-fricking-where, and it was drizzling... just enough to keep everything lovely and 'fresh'
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I got stuck/blocked in behind a tractor towing a muck spreader the last time I went up to Cragg Vale. I couldn't get that episode of Father Ted when he gets covered in sh1te when the driver presses the wrong button out of my head.

It is literally the most scared I've ever been. And I've been chased home by Millwall fans halfway through Derby before now.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • TGOTB wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Not sure how there was a 'slick' of horse sh!t - it's usually pretty solid lumpy stuff. Cow sh!t on the other hand...
    You should try riding down my road on a rainy day. Dry sh*t + water = slurry.
    Exactly, bit of rain, couple of tractors and Bob's your uncle it's all over the road...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    As a rule, if it looks like horse manure, smells like horse manure and tastes like horse manure, it is best to avoid cycling through it......
    And not drink it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    There's not a single commute goes by that I'm not avoiding horse manure. You citified folk have no idea how hard it can be to commute in the countryside....

When it freezes in the winter it goes rock hard. You need to remember where it is when you ride past it in daylight so you miss it on the way home in the dark.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    No point saying anything against horses, too many are ridden by the children of or non-working wives of the rich and influential. Anyone on a horse is above the law......