Avid or hope matchmaker?

paulc
paulc Posts: 161
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Been reading a lot about each clamp but almost every post mentions various amounts of brakes and shifters none of which I know about so after checking on google about each and every one I'm now so lost in my decision.

From what little i think I do understand is that the avid matchmaker is compatable with sram x0 and x9 neither of which come in 3x8 format...

The hope matchmaker is suitable for a few shifters (all but sram I think) but will requure some fetling.

I've been using shimano Altus rapid fire shifters... I like the thumb and first finger operation, and how if I shift up quick in one motion it allows for a change of 3 gears at once.

I would like to keep these shifters but which clamp (split) is needed.

Do sram triggers allow for a gear change of 3 in one quick motion...

If they do and I can find some I believe with non intergrated clamp 3x8 format then my choice is pretty much for the avid clamp.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    We could probably do with knowing what your current gear and brake setup is, (make, model, number of speeds, hydraulic or cable etc.) as well as what you're planning to change (brakes, gear shifters, whole gearing setup, other) and what you'd like to achieve as an endpoint. And of course, how much money you're planning to spend.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what are you trying to achive?

fit what to what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • paulc
    Currently fitted are elixir 5's, all shimano drivetrain but not bought shifters... Would like to spend as little as 60 would go secondhand too for a good set at the right price.

I know mixing sram and shimano don't work too well if at all so don't mind changing RD to sram if needed.

Got 24 gears and need to fit whatever shifter to the elixers
  • nicklouse
    TBH for using some match makers you could well be replacing youe whole drive train.

but to follow the path,

what year 5s and what shifters and year.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • paulc
    No shifters on bike at minute that's why I'm trying to work out what will go with the avids... If it doesn't work out then will look for shimano shifters to fit separate

Not sure what year bought secondhand from the classifieds

Not sure if pics helps but here they are

5nw3ls.jpg

2yy8h94.jpg

200z7d5.jpg
  • nicklouse
    i would be raising your buget then as you will need to go 9spd at least so new cassette chain shifters and maybe the rear mech depending on sram or shimano shifters.

again a lot of money just for some bits of metal you dont need.
  • paulc
    Only just bought new cassette, chain, cranks, bb, brakes, headset... And looking at the pics you know rear suspension is next.... So don't think I'm going to be spending out on all that again just as you said a piece of metal and 1 extra gear I don't really need.
  • paulc
    These would be another option... If only shimano did similar,
    the clamp wouldn't be as obvious due to it being the dials.

http://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/produ ... er-shifter
  • nicklouse
    nope does not work with the match maker. and wrong speed for the kit you have already bought.

there is nothing 8spd that will work.
  • paulc
    Another option to having a second clamp on show now that its clear the matchmaker isn't viable.

Need to choose quick what shifters to get then as I'm hoping to be out Saturday.

Shifters with the dial on top I prefer more... 10 speed I know but this style

http://www.mcconveycycles.com/store/pro ... Pods-Pair/

What's involved in changing to 9 speed on the back... New free hub body and cassette or are adapters possible.

Really dislike problem solving
  • nicklouse
    paulc wrote:

What's involved in changing to 9 speed on the back... New free hub body and cassette or are adapters possible.

Really dislike problem solving
    rear hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible but the rest is not see the FAQs.
  • Really can't understand the need for single clamp ( which you can't get anyway without spending on new kit) . Just go for a suitable pair of shimano 8 speed shifters .

I have sram on a carbon bike 2 by 10 ( if you stop and think about it that is 20 gears a lot of which are duplicated 3× 9 does not give 27 different gears many are duplicated . My shifters and avid brakes occupy their own clamps , I could use match maker clamps , but why ? ( to look good or maybe save a tiny amount of weight )

I really do advise you to stick with the stufff you just got , get some shifters and enjoy what you have . I certainly don't want to seem insulting but without reading a bit more and sorting what you have you could easily end up spending good money for no reason .

You say you are fine with the alivio 3 × 8 and like the action , Sram are different in that you push away from you going both up and down gears , by the way yes you can do multiple shifts .

Don't want to sound offensive but really do think you should save your money .
  • paulc
    Your opinions are welcome good or bad.

Weight doesn't matter for me as I don't do comps and I doubt the saving would make a difference at all to anyone was more about setup and a little presentation.

The Altus shifters are more than fine, levers are the right length a good size fairly quick on the change... Only problem is there intergrated with the old brake levers...

but they are available seperatly and would give me the setup I am looking for.

Hmmm
  • nicklouse
    you can get the bar clamps for them talk to your LBS.

Edit, actually some Acera are not compatible splitable it depends on which year you have.