I invented Rideye: The Black Box Camera For Cyclists. Ask me

cedricbosch
cedricbosch Posts: 4
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Hey guys! I’ve spent the last year developing a product which I have recently launched as a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/rideye/rid ... -your-bike

“Rideye is a black box camera for cyclists. Inspired by the black box in an airplane, it continuously records HD video in a never-ending loop, protecting you from hit-and-runs and false claims. Rideye has crash detection sensors which will detect an accident and protect critical files for future review. It’s incredibly easy to use- just one press of the button turns it on or off. Rideye’s battery lasts 24 hours, easily enough for a full month of commuting.”

The project has been a huge success so far, and with the quantities we are projected to hit, I will be able to add some features requested by the cycling community. I am going on various cycling forums to get an idea of what people want to change about Rideye.

I’d appreciate any and all suggestions or comments! Thank you very much for your time.

Cedric

Comments

• Need to be in a more attractive case, looks like a 50p project box from maplins at the moment, maybe a option of a lower res rear facing camera too as some accidents starts with bad driving from behind.
    Specialized-The clitoris of bikes.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    trooperk wrote:
    Need to be in a more attractive case, looks like a 50p project box from maplins at the moment, maybe a option of a lower res rear facing camera too as some accidents starts with bad driving from behind.

He has that covered by a separate unit - which is probably the best way to do it for visibility purposes.

I think it would be useful to have a GPS record. Normal GPS units don't record frequently enough to really show exact speeds at point of impact in detail so something that did have a much higher recording frequency would be a nice feature.

It probably needs to shrink a lot to become popular away from the more obvious death trap cities.....
    Faster than a tent.......
  • what do the police say about it...in the UK they seem very reluctant to accept video evidence from cyclists.
  • what do the police say about it...in the UK they seem very reluctant to accept video evidence from cyclists.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I wonder what do the police say about it....
  • Scratching my head here wondering what the police would say about it. :D
  • There seems to be a reluctance...... Oh never mind.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And I'm not sure about the name - Rideye. Surely all you need is a hammer and a nail........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    the button turns it on or off. Rideye’s battery lasts 24 hours, easily enough for a full month of commuting.

Would only just get 10 days out of it
  • CiB wrote:

Hello hello hello probably.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    the button turns it on or off. Rideye’s battery lasts 24 hours, easily enough for a full month of commuting.

Would only just get 10 days out of it
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    CiB wrote:

Very good. :D
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,663
    Has any actual crash testing been done to see how robust the unit is? Obviously it needs to be able to survive a few knocks.

My other thought is that that is quite a big box to perch on the bars - would a smaller camera unit on the bars, cabled to a remote battery/storage unit mounted elsewhere on the frame be an option? Not as compact then I guess, and a risk of cables being yanked out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I like the concept but hate the box, for me it needs to be ayrodynamic, can't the electronics be stored in front of the battery pack? Secondly I want something that can record at least front and back with audio if possible for me that would be well worth the investment. My Ideal world would be a helmet front/rear camera system, GPS nice but not essential as I have gps on garmin other have it on phone.
  • am I the only one calling this rid-eye, not (presumably) ride-eye as the OP intended?

Plus I'm not entirely sure a bike mounted camera is a described as a "ground breaking product for cyclists" although I have to dismiss their entire article when I read: "But every time we strap on our helmets, we accept that cycling is a dangerous activity"

You can't upgrade the memory, the design is just horrible (sorry) and the ideas been around for ages....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    am I the only one calling this rid-eye, not (presumably) ride-eye as the OP intended?
    Nope.
    I have to dismiss their entire article when I read: "But every time we strap on our helmets, we accept that cycling is a dangerous activity"
    That's why I leave mine in the garage, or under the stairs, or in the hedge down the road in the early days to get out with being tutted at. IME it isn't, never has been.

Anyway.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Needs a battery fuel tank display. It's no good having these things if they are going to run out of charge halfway though your ride. You need a visual indication of the charge status like Exposure Lights use; four blue leds and one red.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Thanks for the feedback guys! I went with this minimalist design because, as an engineer, I prioritized functionality over good looks. That said, the project is projected to hit quantities many times higher than what I had predicted, so I'm actively looking for some professional product design consultants to help me revise the aesthetics.

Thanks for the suggestion, Asprilla. Currently, Rideye flashes its battery state every time you turn it on. I'll look into adding a secondary LED dedicated to displaying battery capacity.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Thanks for the suggestion, Asprilla. Currently, Rideye flashes its battery state every time you turn it on. I'll look into adding a secondary LED dedicated to displaying battery capacity.

Battery status is fine, but it only provides you with information as you are about yo use it. You really need battery charge data at the end of your ride so that you know whether to plug it in at that point or not. Knowing when it gets to 25% would be the minimum I would want, but ideally 20% or 25% increments would be better. See the five red lights:

toro_race_strada_back_0_zps11541632.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CiB wrote:

Or, Don't stand so close to me. :roll:

Have you though about a lower cost version designed only to capture minor accidents or mistakes? You could call it Cycle-oops.....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • CiB wrote:

Or, Don't stand so close to me. :roll:

Have you though about a lower cost version designed only to capture minor accidents or mistakes? You could call it Cycle-oops.....

We'll have to consider that name for V2 :)
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    While the footage of central LA looks nice. I really hope it also works on dark outer London roads in the rain. I used to use a Contour and it could only just handle that... badly.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • moarspeed
    moarspeed Posts: 119
    The problem with expensive products that do lots of different things, is that if/when something goes faulty, the entire unit is scrap.