Cut in tyre - replace?

964cup
964cup Posts: 1,362
edited September 2013 in Road general
If your tyre had a cut in it like this one, would you replace it? It's an Ultremo ZX Evo. I punctured this morning; I assume this cut is related.

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    If it was mine I would replace it. :)
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    If it's front, replace it. If it's rear, see if you can see it from the inside of the casing. Then see if it opens up when you inflate to 110psi. If it does, replace it. Ultremos are really light, fairly weak tyres.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I thought so. That's the second ZX I've had to replace in less than 500 miles, for the same reason. I love the grip from the Ultremos, and their lightness, but they do seem fragile.

I think Vittoria Paves are going on for the winter, and then we'll see.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Not sure I would but good advice from Matt. Have a good look to make sure nothing is still in there though.

A good tip is to line up the manufacturer's name with the valve when you fit the tyre at home. Then, when you puncture out and about you can line the tube up with the tyre and see if the thing that caused the puncture is still there (like a sharp stone or thorn just waiting for the fresh tube you have just fitted. Take your time at the side of the road (I have seen folks rush a change only to puncture 100 yards down the road).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the cut pierces the carcass, such that you can see the inner tube then probably replace
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • When i fitted a new pair of GP4000S i got a cut like that in the rear after the first ride was pretty irritated but decided to keep on riding, over 1700 miles later no punctures from either pumped to 110psi.....try it and see you never know you might be as lucky as me.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Gp4000s are much stronger than zxs though.....
  • I'd probably continue riding that IF it hasn't gone through the carcass.

You may want to glue it with something like aquasure or another suitable glue that doesn't go hard.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I'd probably wrap a strip of toothpaste tube a couple of time around the inner tube at that point. But I am incredibly mean when it comes to replacing tyres.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}