Carbon rigid forks

ruggerbugger
ruggerbugger Posts: 128
edited October 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Charge Cooker 2012 which has a rigid steel fork, I have my eye on some suss forks but I'm thinking bout buying some carbon rigid forks.

What's the benefit gained over the steel forks?

Is it worth the cost?

Any special care for carbon forks?

Thanks for any info & happy trails :D

Comments

• I have a Charge Cooker 2012 which has a rigid steel fork, I have my eye on some suss forks but I'm thinking bout buying some carbon rigid forks.

Is it worth the cost?

a BIT lighter in Weight , they look a BIT cooler and you can tell people they are carbon, if asked ?

have you got a 150/200 quid or so, you haven't got anything else to spend on ? if so they are a good buy, if you wondering where next weeks rent is coming from, give them a miss
  • Carbon flexes more than aluminium but is stronger and lighter try and get some with a carbon kevlar mix as then they will be more resistant to any impacts if you come off also over time uv light can make the resin degrade but were talking years expect there mostly painted or coverd in stickers anyway. If you do brake them get in touch and I can fix them for you.
  • slickmouse wrote:
    I have a Charge Cooker 2012 which has a rigid steel fork, I have my eye on some suss forks but I'm thinking bout buying some carbon rigid forks.

Is it worth the cost?

a BIT lighter in Weight , they look a BIT cooler and you can tell people they are carbon, if asked ?

have you got a 150/200 quid or so, you haven't got anything else to spend on ? if so they are a good buy, if you wondering where next weeks rent is coming from, give them a miss
    A bit? Steel fork ca 3 lbs, carbon 1,5 lbs
  • vanamees wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

Is it worth the cost?

yea and the 1lb and a half saving is a small percentage of the weight of the bike and costs you 200 (or more) quid to achieve ??

as i tried to suggest, if you've run out of useful things to buy and have money to spend on something which gives a negligible gain in performance but looks quite good then you may as well buy that as colour coded fasteners or cables.

personalty, id save the weight by having a dump before i set off
  • slickmouse wrote:
    vanamees wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

Is it worth the cost?

yea and the 1lb and a half saving is a small percentage of the weight of the bike and costs you 200 (or more) quid to achieve ??

as i tried to suggest, if you've run out of useful things to buy and have money to spend on something which gives a negligible gain in performance but looks quite good then you may as well buy that as colour coded fasteners or cables.

200 £ for 1,5 lbs is very cheap unless you have 40 lbs bike.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Get a monococque carbon fork with a carbon steerer to get the strongest and lightest option. There are good places to save weight and better places, and the fork is one of the best for making the bike feel lighter. Also a rigid carbon fork will mark you out as a man of taste, not that I'm biased or anything
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • vanamees wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:
    vanamees wrote:
    slickmouse wrote:

Is it worth the cost?

200 £ for 1,5 lbs is very cheap unless you have 40 lbs bike.

it MAY be ''cheap'' but is it good value ? The laws of diminishing returns applies, weight saving is only some use if there is an appreciable and measurable difference in performance, knocking 10 lb of a 40 lb bike will make a huge difference, knocking a lb and a half of a 25lb bike is really nether hear nor there as only a few people will be able to make it perform significantly better for such a small loss, like i say if it makes you fell better about yourself carry on, but i defy anyone to turn up with some objective measure of how much better it is
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    slickmouse wrote:
    I got nothing
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Fit some big, fat tyres and some decent rigid forks and you'll wonder why you persevered with heavy, flexy, energy-robbing forks - I'm running Pace RC31 carbon forks with monster 29x3" tyres and they simply roll-over anything and have enough cush to keep the trail chatter at bay.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm willing to bet your forks, wheel, and tyre are heavier than mine (2857g for forks with crown race and SFN, front wheel tube and tyre) - and as mine have a pedal platform they aren't energy robbing either your gumball tyres probably rob more.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The Rookie wrote:
    Hmm willing to bet your forks, wheel, and tyre are heavier than mine (2857g for forks with crown race and SFN, front wheel tube and tyre) - and as mine have a pedal platform they aren't energy robbing either your gumball tyres probably rob more.

You got all those bits off and weighed them right now, to make a point on here? I just make my facts up. My carbon fork was advertised as weighing 750g - I didn't double check that - and the 2.25" tyres (On-one Smorgasbord) that I bounce along on are a pretty average weight. But let's not argue, what size wheels do you thing are best? :lol:
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, I know the weight of every part on my bike from when I built it from seperate parts (may as well!), I may be sad, but not that sad!

I dare say your 2.25" are lighter, but not MD's 29x3".

Ha ha, I know what size wheels are best for me, for you I don't know.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.