cleat positioning, help.

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Morning all, right had some look keos setup but constantly got a numbness or pain in my right foot, at the base of the little piggie. My mate used to ride on keos and suffered numbness and went to speedplays, and raved about them.
Thought I would give them a go, so today was first ride and hade them setup neutral so dead centre on l/r and on the 0 line on my shoe as a starting point.
I got the same issue, now my question is, is this a case of adjusting the l/r cleat position so it is under the little piggy? Or a case of persevering as its new?
Any advice greatly received.
Ash

Comments

• dowtcha
    dowtcha Posts: 442
    Are you using the same shoes, if you are you might try insoles.
  • Yeah the same shoes, insoles? Forgive me for sounding thick but will they not make the shoe a tighter fit? Or am I going to need to buy a size bigger? (That wont bea shame at all)

Any other opinions? I haven't finalised the position as such had way to much float in the speedplay pedalsso need to zero that.
  • http://www.bikefit.com/S-13-road-bikes.aspx
    So looking at this link about cleat wedges, it looks like I may have a solution. However it doesn't define how you apply the wedges. Do I raise the outside if the foot by installkng a wedge on the outside of the cleat?
    Help please.
  • Effoh
    Effoh Posts: 25
    Where is the pedal spindle in relation to the ball of your foot? You might find this useful https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/
  • Spindle is in the 'right'place so to speak.
  • If you haven't, Carbon soled road shoes are usually good for removing pressure points on your feet. If you still have the same problems, the shoes are still really good
  • I have carbon composite soled shoes mavic avenirs.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Pain on the outside of the foot can usually most easily be fixed by moving your whole foot further out in relation to the pedal, when clipped in.

Try that first.
  • Will give that a try, so cleat moves in towards the bike. However just seen a beautiful pair of fizik r1 shoes that I may buy anyway.
  • Cubic
    Cubic Posts: 594
    I used to get horrible pain in my little toes when riding, but I learnt that it was due to my shoes being too tight across my foot. I've got shoes with wiggle room for my toes now and I don't get pain or numbness in my toes any more.

Do your shoes feel tight at all?
  • They do sometimes feel tight. Im a 9 and bought a 9but there isnt much overlap on the velcro so think I could have gone for a bigger size
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Will give that a try, so cleat moves in towards the bike. However just seen a beautiful pair of fizik r1 shoes that I may buy anyway.

No - try keeping the cleat in the same place and moving the shoe out (with respect to the fixed cleat / pedal unit)
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Secteur wrote:
    Will give that a try, so cleat moves in towards the bike. However just seen a beautiful pair of fizik r1 shoes that I may buy anyway.

No - try keeping the cleat in the same place and moving the shoe out (with respect to the fixed cleat / pedal unit)

How would he do that, without buying pedal extenders?
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • city_boy
    city_boy Posts: 1,616
    They do sometimes feel tight. Im a 9 and bought a 9but there isnt much overlap on the velcro so think I could have gone for a bigger size

This may be part of the problem. I'm a 9 and have the Mavic Avenir shoes but had to go for a size 10 as the 9's were too tight.
    Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    A bike fit might be your best option. Can be expensive, but worth it IMO.

I went to Adrian Timmis, included in the price I got some custom foot beds and cleat wedges to straighten my foot on the pedal due to funny ankle alignment. I've not had a single pain since. Worth thinking about
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • OP when you say you had some Keos 'set up' do you mean you had a Look pedal fit? If not it's well worth getting one done and any Look dealer worth their salt with have the system in the shop.
  • Had them setup at 700 on thefit system.
  • Lewiy
    Lewiy Posts: 8
    Another shout here for loosening the straps. I was getting numbness until I loosened off the middle strap on my shoes. I also have the cleats positioned as far back on the shoe as I can to put less pressure on my toes.