Decathlon or specialized

lukebennett
lukebennett Posts: 52
edited November 2013 in Road beginners
Hi i'm looking for an entry level road bike to get me started

I have done a lot of searching around looking at reviews and that and it has come down to two bikes at the moment. I do not know which one to choose, it's between:

Decathlon b'twin triban 5
&
Specialized allez compact 2013

What are your views on these bikes? And if you have any other bike recommendations I am still open to anything else as bikes are expensive and I want to get the best I can for my money without paying over £500

Thanks
Luke

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Both are good bikes for the money the Triban is a triple the Specialized is a double, it depends which you prefer. I suggest you go and try them it will make your decision easier. :)
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    It's all about the fit. Both good entry level bikes.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • I recommend you test ride both bikes and then chose the one that feels best.

Also take in to account your need for accessories, clothes, advice and servicing, all of which can be found at a good local bike shop. My LBS gave me a loyalty card that offered 10% off all future purchases.

A third alternative is to spend £500 on a good second hand bike via an online auction site. You will probably be able to buy a bike hat would have cost £1000 when new. This approach need some experience, so enlist he help of a cycling friend to weed out the rubbish if you can. I bought a 2 year old bike for £288 that was £650 new.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • i'd go for the specialized.

I bought a triban earlier this yr and it turned out to be a load of rubbish...sold it a month later.

just my opinion so don't be going down my throat as I know a lot of people on here love them.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Fair point and why it is important to test ride bikes as the best spec / price may not be the best bike for you.
  • I'd go for the Triban, I have a red Triban 3 and love it. There is a lot of brand snobbery out there though and if this is likely to bother you at all then the Spesh would be a better option - you get more for your cash with the Triban though and a triple will serve you well as it gives you more gear options and is more flexible than a compact. Many will disagree with me on here with that last statement but you need to try to see which you prefer.

I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat but if you make a statement like "I bought a triban earlier this yr and it turned out to be a load of rubbish...sold it a month later." then it would be helpful if you stated what was rubbish about it...
  • I too have a Triban 3 which uses the same frame and forks as the 5.
    Love it to bits.
    Any basic components can be upgraded as and when.
    One positive has been the good customer service from the Decathlon teams I've dealt with.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • Neil_aky wrote:
    I'd go for the Triban, I have a red Triban 3 and love it. There is a lot of brand snobbery out there though and if this is likely to bother you at all then the Spesh would be a better option - you get more for your cash with the Triban though and a triple will serve you well as it gives you more gear options and is more flexible than a compact. Many will disagree with me on here with that last statement but you need to try to see which you prefer.

I wouldn't jump down anyone's throat but if you make a statement like "I bought a triban earlier this yr and it turned out to be a load of rubbish...sold it a month later." then it would be helpful if you stated what was rubbish about it...
    the bike was an absolute nightmare to pedal,a 10 mile cycle felt like a 50 miler on the bike I have now,gears were ok i'll admit,seat felt like I was straddling a fence..really hard and uncomfortable,wheels and bearing were poor quality....is that enough.

ok maybe this is all stuff that can be upgraded but if your gonna upgrade it all why not just buy a better bike that's all i'm saying.

some people may find the bike good and fair enough everyone to there own.

i'm not a bike snob but it wasn't for me.....maybe I just got a Friday afternoon one :P
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Unless you are exaggerating (alot) then there must have been something wrong with the bike you got - the saddle maybe just wasnt for you - a different specialized saddle could be just as bad for you, you just got lucky with the one on the bike you have now. But if you even noticed the bearings from new then there must have been something wrong with them and you should have got it fixed free. For 10 miles to feel like 50 is not right - maybe for a tesco special but not for a proper bike.

What did you get instead that was so much better?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Just to let everyone know the OP bought a Specialized.
  • I will be picking up my triban 7a in a few weeks, i was in the same dilemma

But the staff at decathlon are excellent, the lad that served me even has a 7a and has a few upgrades and was happy to show me his.

Value for money wise the specialized doesnt come close to the triban

Like others have said, if your worried about the brand then go spesh, if your after more bang for your buck then go triban

Oh and devathlon have just added lifetime warrenty on there frames and forks
  • ive just got a triban 7 riden it twice now and loving it fast light and nice looking u can upgrade bits in the future ive come from mountian bike riding so a big just but still riding my mountain bike
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Just to add to the "good reasons to buy from Decathlon", I visited the Stockport store last weekend to buy a complete variety of stuff, including a pair of cone wrenches.

Rushed out of the store, didn't really give the things much extra thought as I've had no time this week to be disassembling wheels.

Got an email yesterday lunch time from the customer service desk at Stockport saying they thought I might have left a pair of cone wrenches at the till when leaving. They had my email address through the loyalty card, and would keep the tools behind the desk for me to pick up at my leisure.

I can't imagine any other company doing anything else with forgotten goods other than just sticking them back on the shelf at the end of the day if the customer forgets about them (particularly when they were only a few quid).

Says a lot about their customer service to my mind.

Matt
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • IMHO Decathlon bikes had a good value for money until 2012.
    Now, I'm not sure. They increased their prices.
    I think that, at the moment, one of the best value for money is Giant.