Custom steel road bike

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited October 2013 in Road general
I've always bought second hand or discounted bikes and at some point want to treat myself to a custom steel fast tourer. I'm interested in hearing other experiences of frame builders and bikes please

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Look at Enigma and you'll end up going titanium.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvee wrote:

Lol - I could look at Enigma all day long and still go steel. Ti does nothing for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one ;)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I went to Enigma and got steel. They do absolutely lovely steel bikes that ride like a dream.

I went bespoke and got a the tourer I had always dreamed of. They looked after me really well and the bike is beautiful. Highly recommend them
  • There are so many frame builders in the UK and pretty much all have a great reputation. Don't go to Enigma, go to a framebuilder which is reasonably local to you... the all experience can be much better if you can actually go there and talk to the guy, instead of dealing via the phone.
    I live in London, if I was to get a custom frame, I would talk to Chas Roberts or Tom Donhou for instance
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    There are so many frame builders in the UK and pretty much all have a great reputation. Don't go to Enigma, go to a framebuilder which is reasonably local to you... the all experience can be much better if you can actually go there and talk to the guy, instead of dealing via the phone.
    I live in London, if I was to get a custom frame, I would talk to Chas Roberts or Tom Donhou for instance
    Go to a framebuilder who will be in sympathy with the kind of frame you want to have built. Look at their frames and talk with them. A hand made frame is a personal thing. I wouldn't let geography dictate my choice. The UK is not so huge that most builders are not within easy reach of someone who is seriously considering a hand built frame/bike.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Rolf F wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Lol - I could look at Enigma all day long and still go steel. Ti does nothing for me and I'm sure I'm not the only one ;)
    +1 -absolutely. Ti does nothing for me, very bland rides ime, steel is real for me ...
  • Doesn't have to be bland...

Corretto%2005.jpg

(Photo nicked from Baum's site. My personal Ti bike arguably is a bit bland since it's a common or garden Van Nic.)
  • I'm not drawn to Ti. Probably looking at top end steel disc capable, maybe aiming at 28mm tyres.
  • I'm not drawn to Ti. Probably looking at top end steel disc capable, maybe aiming at 28mm tyres.

Modern steel like 853 is superior to Titanium alloy in its mechanical properties... there has not been much development in titanium alloys over the past 40 years, while steel has undergone almost a revolution.
    Stainless steel (like 953) which was not a tubing material as the technology to weld it was not well developed is now a well established material for frames and is superior in every single aspect to titanium... including the imaginary problem of rust and corrosion. Of course the cost is comparable, so it becomes a personal choice, but the myth of titanium as a superior choice is a thing of the past
  • There are plenty of frame builders to choose from in the UK

http://www.framebuilding.com/custom_uk_ ... ilders.htm
  • We've got three Roberts between us, nice bikes but be prepared for a wait, the last one Mrs K's race bike took an age. I fancied a rourke but not sure I'll bother now I've got a roberts. These guys might be worth a look

http://www.oakcycles.com/bikes/
  • Thanks for the links - some very nice bikes on the last one
  • mmacavity
    mmacavity Posts: 781
    Bespoked Bristol might be of interest to you.

http://www.bespokedbristol.co.uk/2014.html
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Doesn't have to be bland...

Corretto%2005.jpg

(Photo nicked from Baum's site. My personal Ti bike arguably is a bit bland since it's a common or garden Van Nic.)
    it won't improve the ride, no matter how pretty they are ...
  • giant man wrote:
    Doesn't have to be bland...

Corretto%2005.jpg

it won't improve the ride, no matter how pretty they are ...

True but I've been riding ordinary or ugly, functional bikes for ages and fancy a once in the lifetime treat of a nice riding pretty bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    This thread is worth a look http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12886136 and the finished product is superb. One day when the kids have left home and I finally have money I will have a custom bike. It looks so much better than browsing a few shops and eventually picking one (and I enjoy that enough!).

Edited to correct thread!
  • mmacavity
    Or make your own frame with Dave Yates
    http://vimeo.com/40995264
  • mmacavity wrote:
    Or make your own frame with Dave Yates
    http://vimeo.com/40995264

Easier said than done... I did apply, they called me about one year later for a week when I was busy...
  • Have a look at Paulus Quiros in Burry Port. They have featured in a few magazine write up's and at Bespoked Bristol. I have seen a few of the bikes at a local Sportive and they are works of art that could be hung on the wall.
  • mmacavity
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I can recommend Rourke. Great service, very accomodating with tweaks during the buld stage and custom paint requests.

Gareth does the measuring these days to get the frame design, but then I communicated with Jason directly, getting photos of the build and asking questions. He changed the tubes used as I asked if they could use the bi-ovalised downtube (also matching top tube), and totally changed the paint scheme. Waiting time is about 6 months.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava