daj
daj Posts: 139
edited October 2013 in Cyclocross
Lets put the facts down

-I am no slim Jim
-I dont really run ...Hmmm guess I dont run :shock:
-my mud skills are not the best

But I fancy a go!!

Im 37 ride both road and mtb normally averaging at least 100 miles a week riding with local club and have owned cross bikes for approx two years mainly using for scooting around the Cotswolds , Did the 100k Hell of the North Cotswolds this year which was a eye opener :shock:

Anyway had a look around and there are a couple of series (Western League ) that are drive-able from us but having never been to one before a little concern with what to expect?

Kind of hoping for a nice big field of people that vary in seriousness and ability but reality thinking its going to be super elite whippets?? :?

Any thoughts or experiences from Newbies or even Western league riders?

Cheers

daj

Comments

• See you at Eastleigh Sunday the 6th then? It'll be my first race ever, and at 44 and 17 stone I'm doing the 1/2 hour race.
    Just started commuting properly by bike, and bought a Ridley back in August, so why not.

I expect to be last, will be using my MTB as no off road cleats and probably fall off at every bend. I'm actually quite scared about it.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I did a couple of races recently as a complete noob, had a great time and I didn't feel like there was any pressure at all, people of all abilities as well. I can't comment on the one near you but I believe cross is a lot more accessible in general than road racing as you can start at any level and it doesn't matter so much if you can't keep up with the bunch
  • I was looking at photos of my club mates doing it last year so this year I bought myself a second hand cross bike and can't wait for my first race on the 5th Oct. I haven't raced in any form for 20yrs so hoping adrenaline will help me through. That is of course unless baby number two arrives 3wks early in which case I guess I'll have to wait.
  • I started road racing this year and am going to start CX. If the road racing was anything to go by it will be excellent. No doubt you will be wandering around at the start looking at all the experienced riders and trying to find the ones that you might be able to keep up with, but when the pistol goes off the butterflies disappear, give it as much as you can and if you're not smiling at the end ill send a cheque for your race fee.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    It's a great way into bike racing and it really doesn't matter how good or bad you are as after a few laps no-one really knows where the front and back are. The only thing to be aware of is not to get in the way of people lapping you, they should call to let you know which side they are passing on so just move over the other way as much as possible.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Cross definitely seems to be friendlier than many forms of racing, perhaps because everyone is amused by the fact that they're going round a muddy field on a bike that's largely unsuitable for the job, 3 kg heavier with all the mud, gears that are gunked up and don't work anymore and brakes that never did, but mainly because there are races within the race. After a lap or two you find your level and spend the rest of race competing against people of a similar standard. You'll find yourself busting a gut just to beat someone and finish fifth from last!

It's just great fun!
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Pross wrote:
    It's a great way into bike racing and it really doesn't matter how good or bad you are as after a few laps no-one really knows where the front and back are. The only thing to be aware of is not to get in the way of people lapping you, they should call to let you know which side they are passing on so just move over the other way as much as possible.

Unlike road racing, all the abilities are well and truly mixed (plus in a good few races you'll also find the juniors, women and vets lining up with the seniors) meaning there's nearly always someone on your level to contest a "race within a race" against.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Have a go-you will love it.
    Short races-an hour max so a bit different to HONC( that was a slog this year)
    Always someone to race with
  • Never thought I would say this but I fancy a bit of cross action, only been riding for 2 years and if I'm honest have all the bike handling skills of a 4yr old but it looks such a great laugh.
    How much would I need to spend and what kinda spec would i need on a cross bike to try it out, not looking for anything mad...... I would fully expect to be last.
  • the_Spooks wrote:
    Never thought I would say this but I fancy a bit of cross action, only been riding for 2 years and if I'm honest have all the bike handling skills of a 4yr old but it looks such a great laugh.
    How much would I need to spend and what kinda spec would i need on a cross bike to try it out, not looking for anything mad...... I would fully expect to be last.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to buy a Boardman CX Comp ... £540 with BC discount and enter a race at the MK bowl. I'm aiming to finish!
  • Paul 8v
    I got mine for £230, get something cheap and then if you stack it, it won't matter as much. You don't need discs as you won't be going fast enough and once they are covered in mud they all weigh about the same! You won't regret it ;-)
  • antsmithmk wrote:
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Never thought I would say this but I fancy a bit of cross action, only been riding for 2 years and if I'm honest have all the bike handling skills of a 4yr old but it looks such a great laugh.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to buy a Boardman CX Comp ... £540 with BC discount and enter a race at the MK bowl. I'm aiming to finish!

I raced CX for the first time at the MK Bowl 2 weekends ago. It was a great course with bits of single track and off camber turns. I had a blast and wouldn't hesitate to have another go. You'll love it and as others have said it's a great atmosphere.
  • Paul 8v wrote:
    I got mine for £230, get something cheap and then if you stack it, it won't matter as much. You don't need discs as you won't be going fast enough and once they are covered in mud they all weigh about the same! You won't regret it ;-)
    That's kinda more my budget lol Does it need to be CX specific wheels/frame? Can I be cheeky and ask what ya picked up at that kinda money? Wouldn't wanna spend a fortune and then not get the use of it more than anything.
  • Paul 8v
    the_Spooks wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    That's kinda more my budget lol Does it need to be CX specific wheels/frame? Can I be cheeky and ask what ya picked up at that kinda money? Wouldn't wanna spend a fortune and then not get the use of it more than anything.
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12939447
    This is mine, reasonably old but still quick and tough. Also got it to be a winter hack, just stick some slicks on it and it's perfect. The wheels don't need to be cross specific but the frame does really as you will want he clearance for bigger tyres and need cantis.
    It's very versatile and I've found myself riding it more than the lappiere. I recently tried it on the red route at the forest of dean and it managed OK and made it a bit more of a challenge than steamrollering it on a full susser
  • Cheers for that Paul, so now saving for a new Sunday bike and a CX bike ....... Oh I will be sooooo popular with the wife :D
  • Encouraged by the comments above, I took part in a cyclocross race at the bowl today! It was pretty hard!!! However it was a blast and everyone was friendly and encouraging. Anyone thinking of having a good should!

A couple of pointers that might help newbies-
    1. Tyre pressures need to be low. I had mine set far too high, so my bike bounced across the ground too much and fatigued me. I also didn't have the contact patch on the uphills and spun my wheels to the point of having to get off and push.
    2. Skills - there were 2 hurdles but on a uphill, so no real worries about getting off, over and back on quickly as everyone was pushing for a while afterwards!
    3. Loose tape! I presume another rider had gone through the tape, which I then collect on lap 2 of 3. This ruined my race as it wound round my rear cassette, deraileur and got wound onto the freehub stopping all 3 items from working as they should. My advice - stop and remove debris! It would have taken 30 seconds but over the course of the race cost me minutes!!!

Anyone thinking of going for it should!