New Insoles

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited September 2013 in Road buying advice
Was out for another cycle on the road bike today, and I'm trying to work out what I can do to stop my feet hurting! It feels like the arch is too high - is there anything I can do to fix this? Insoles/pads? Shoes are Fizik R3's with Shimano 105 pedals, and I don't have any issues with my Shimano M088 shoes.

Comments

• peteone
    peteone Posts: 152
    Similar issue to what I had with the R1. I changed the insole it it didn't seem to make much difference as the high arch is in the shoe. They seemed fine when I tried them on in the shop.

They have done away with the high arch in the newer version.

I've persisted with mine and they seem much better now, no numb spot. May have just been my feet getting used to them.
    Cervelo R3
    Giant TCR SL
    Ibis Tranny
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Work out how high your arch is then buy some insoles to suit? Specialized are decent enough
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    See I think its the arch of the actual shoe that's too high, that's why I reckon padding or something is needed to space up the rest of the sole. I have quite a low arch which is why they're uncomfy.
  • Now you know why they were all being sold off very cheap.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I have had specialized ones for a couple of years now (the blue ones). Have done a lot of riding this season and for the last couple of months I have had a lot of tension in my lower legs.

After a few trips to the physio, they looked at my insoles, took some prints of my feet etc.

Now I have some custom insoles, basically the arch is a little further back. Really amazing difference, would certainly recommend it. All discomfort, tension and pain seems to have gone.

And all covered by health insurance!
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Get a set of the flat Specialized footbeds (red I think?) and 'trim' the arch part down as needed. As you say the thickness will help the high arch from the shape of the shoe be less prominent.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    If you're after a set of red insoles, I've got a set I'll do for £12.50 posted.