How much oil on chain

mutantllama
mutantllama Posts: 50
edited September 2013 in Road general
Hi, tried a forum search, but could not get any response from the search engine...

Just wondered how much chain oil you use? I use a shimano lube and put a small drop on each link, but on Youtube I found a video of some using absolutely loads, then wiping off the excess with a cloth. Don't want to under/over lube, wondered how much you guys and gals use?

Comments

• Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    I don't put any on the outside edge of the chain or on the side links as these don't make any contact with the cassette or chainrings, so don't need lubricating and only attract dirt to the chain until it turns black. Instead, i just spin the cranks backwards and drizzle a little on the inside edge of the chain for a few seconds until the chains gone round once. And by drizzle i mean a tiny, gossamer thin strand of lube coming out of the bottle from simply being held upside down, not actually squeezing the bottle until oil spirts out.

Works for me and keeps the chain clean.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    If I'm feeling lazy, I'll just dribble some out as I'm spinning the chain backwards (always do it on the inside of the chain - where the chain is at the bottom of its 'travel' you put the oil on top).

If I'm not feeling lazy I'll carefully put a single drop on every link, then spin the chain for a while to distribute it, and will finish by running the chain through a clean rag for a while to clean off all the excess.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    it's only a bike chain, don't over think it, put oil some on, wipe off excess
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    I use an old toothbrush, put a large drop of Green Oil on it and rub back and forth along a few links on the inside of the lower run and repeat until I've done the whole chain then turn the pedals quickly to work it in between the links. I prefer the 'little and often' method, which also means there is less to clean off. If I know it's going to be wet I may apply a bit extra.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Cheers all, sounds like I'm getting the right amount on.
  • sub4
    sub4 Posts: 14
    Little and often. You don't need to lube every link, as a good few spins working up & down the block will spread it around. But don't forget to remove the gloop regularly too! Use a chain scrubber.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sungod wrote:
    it's only a bike chain, don't over think it, put oil some on, wipe off excess

++++++++1
    Especially the "it's only a bike chain" part
  • I use a shimano lube and put a small drop on each link
    Same here, I typically use Finish Line wet lube for its viscosity, tab the inside of each link. No need to wipe away any excess afterwards like that, and ensures the oil goes where it should. Undoubtedly you could do it in a less OCD fashion, but hey, to each their own.