Would I just be wasting my money ?

Fil6914
Fil6914 Posts: 74
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Need some advice before spending.

I have a 2013 defy zero with stock wheels, I'm wondering if upgrading to fulcrum racing 7 or shimmano rs30 wheels would be worth it? I don't want to spend more than maybe 200 so your comments would be welcome

Thanks

Phil
Road - Giant Defy 0
Road - carrera virtuoso
MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Try better tyres (unless you have already done it) this might be a cheaper option, then if you are still feeling the need for new wheels you already have the better tyres. :)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I wouldn't bother, buy a set of good tyres and spend a little more later in the day. I've got a set of 7s on a bike and they're ok but they won't feel much different from what you've got.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    For ~£200 I'd be looking at Racing Quattros or Ultegra 6700s, I'd imagine racing 7s or RS30s are pretty similar to the Giant wheels. But I'd wait until I'd ridden the current wheels into the ground.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Not worth it unless they're better wheels weight wise. I got a nice set of Ultegra wheels used for 110 on ebay, you could try something like that. If you have 9 speed now make sure you get a compatible hub, some wheels only take a 10 speed cassette as the splines are deeper.

Ribble had Ultegras on special offer at 229, worth a look.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Agree with the stuff ^^

Yes, you would be wasting your money, particularly at this time of year. Ride your current wheels throughout the winter whilst, if you haven't already, buying some decent winter training tyres (I've just got some Ultremo DDs that are very nice but also hear great things about Conti Gatorskins and 4seasons, etc.).

Then, in the spring time spend a bit more on wheels to get a noticeable difference (RS80s, Fulcrum 3's, etc., or handbuilts like Open Pro/Excellights with 105/Ultegra hubs) but keep your stock wheels for emergencies/turbo/winter use (or sticking back on your bike if you ever decide to sell it). The springtime is also a good time to get decent race tyres like Ultremo ZX or Conti GP4000S.
  • Why do you think you need them?
  • Hi guys

Thanks for the quick replies, looks like my wife and you lot are of the same opinion lol

I don't need new wheels but was just looking to upgrade what I have, but it guess to make any sort of decent improvement it's going to cost more than 200 quid. Agree with the reply saying it's the wrong time of year too, I already have the Carrera set up for winter so probably not using the defy once the weather turns anyway.

Thanks again for saving me some cash for now

Phil
    Road - Giant Defy 0
    Road - carrera virtuoso
    MTB - Kona cindercone MTB 1997
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Agree with the stuff ^^

Yes, you would be wasting your money, particularly at this time of year. Ride your current wheels throughout the winter whilst, if you haven't already, buying some decent winter training tyres (I've just got some Ultremo DDs that are very nice but also hear great things about Conti Gatorskins and 4seasons, etc.).

Then, in the spring time spend a bit more on wheels to get a noticeable difference (RS80s, Fulcrum 3's, etc., or handbuilts like Open Pro/Excellights with 105/Ultegra hubs) but keep your stock wheels for emergencies/turbo/winter use (or sticking back on your bike if you ever decide to sell it). The springtime is also a good time to get decent race tyres like Ultremo ZX or Conti GP4000S.

Agree with this.
    I'd be looking to spend around £300 on some handbuilts plus £60 on GP4000s in the spring.
    That should make a nice difference to your ride.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul