Turbo trainer or rollers for the winter ?

paulb369uk
paulb369uk Posts: 69
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
I have had my new bike for just over a month now and love it :D I am however mindful that the weather will turn soon and can't decide if I should put a turbo trainer or rollers down on my list for the BIG guy this Christmas, all views appreciated as never tried either.

Thanks

Comments

• DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    I have had 2 turbo trainers, a normal one with resistance and a VR one. I didn't really get on with either of them, although the VR one from a techy point of view was great.
    I now have a set of rollers with resistance, and find them great. Feels more like riding a bike, unlike the turbos. Also improves your balance and pedaling technique.
    Try both if you can, and see which best suits you.

Dave
  • Thanks Dave, I have heard that rollers did provide a more realistic ride however when first using them ensure you have a door frame either side to catch you !!!!

PaUl
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have both a turbo and rollers. The turbo is best for high intensity interval sessions, particularly if you have one with an ergo mode i.e. defined power output. The rollers are better for technique, particularly to help develop a smooth, high cadence pedalling style. The rollers are more engaging, wheras the turbo feels like being in your cave of pain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have both a turbo and rollers. The turbo is best for high intensity interval sessions, particularly if you have one with an ergo mode i.e. defined power output. The rollers are better for technique, particularly to help develop a smooth, high cadence pedalling style. The rollers are more engaging, wheras the turbo feels like being in your cave of pain.

+1

I have both as well. I always find the turbo a real slog but its invaluable for really high intensity and currently has my TT bike on it so I can train 'in position' which just isnt possible on rollers!

IMHO rollers are generally better and forget all the rubbish about falling off as everyone I know who's tried has been fine after 2 sessions! Time passes much faster as you have to concentrate, and they are great right up to almost VO2 effort levels. I think they are perfect for the sort of work most people are doing in winter and if I could only have 1 indoor trainer I'd choose my rollers.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Any one recommend a good roller?

I've binned the turbo at the start of the year.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've gone from a turbo to rolllers, I totally hated the turbo it was very boring though I do agree it is better for high intensity sessions. I think I was also sorted on rollers after about 20mins and a couple of off's they are much more engaging and I tend to stay on them longer than I ever would with a turbo.
  • Thanks for all your views guys, think I will go with rollers on the present list :)
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    I have both.Used the turbo last winter and got rollers for this winter.After trying on the rollers once it was crap and I can be arsed to learn them or worry about falling off.So I got the fork clamp and it,s great.Can,t fall off and can do what ever you need to do.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • elderone wrote:
    I have both.Used the turbo last winter and got rollers for this winter.After trying on the rollers once it was crap and I can be arsed to learn them or worry about falling off.So I got the fork clamp and it,s great.Can,t fall off and can do what ever you need to do.

The thing is, you've just negated one of the main benefits of using rollers.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    denniskwok wrote:
    elderone wrote:

The thing is, you've just negated one of the main benefits of using rollers.
    Not for me,I can still do what I want to do and that,s all im worried about.No douby over time I will use them with out the fork brace but for now I will carry on regardless :D
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • DaveL
    I have a set of Elite Arion Parabolic Rollers with resistance and am very happy with them. Sometimes they feel a bit lumpy though, hard to describe (a minor irritation than a problem). If you can stretch to it the CNCd rollers are supposed to be a lot smoother, and I would love a set.

Dave
  • DaveL wrote:
    I have a set of Elite Arion Parabolic Rollers with resistance and am very happy with them. Sometimes they feel a bit lumpy though, hard to describe (a minor irritation than a problem). If you can stretch to it the CNCd rollers are supposed to be a lot smoother, and I would love a set.

Dave

I have exactly the same rollers and know exactly what you mean by 'lumpy' although I'd describe it more as a vibration. Have wondered whether one of my wheels has a flat spot but haven't checked yet. I also have both but would go for the rollers, as others have said there are more benefits with a roller, smoother pedalling, works core and time goes faster as you have to concentrate.
  • CNCd rollers?

I've tried, google throws up nothing....
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • DaveL
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-arion-al13-rollers/. I think tweeks cycles have them cheaper

Dave
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have the Elite Arions too - there is a bit of lumpiness at a certain speed but once you know where it is, you simply avoid riding at that point. The key to keeping balance is looking up and ahead - once you get is sorted it becomes more natural. Important consideration is that you have very little inertia on rollers - only the wheels are moving, so you have little energy - you simply topple sideways if you do come off. To prove the point, I came off doing a flat-out sprint at 180rpm at the end of a session - simply ended in a heap on the floor.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • I have a cheap turbo (sounds like a 747 taking off) and a set of rollers. got the rollers from wiggle 2 weeks ago (Elite Ghibli for £116 so cheap and very quiet. took 3 quick goes to get balanced then did a 30 minute session on the hoods in an easy gear. still work in progress but i just know i am going to love the rollers this winter.
    the plus side to rollers is they are so quiet i can actually use them in the evening when the kids are in bed.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • zanelad
    zanelad Posts: 269
    Forgive what may be a daft question, but do you need roller specific tyres (much like turbo tyres) for a set of
    rollers or are ones normal road tyres OK?

Thanks.

Z.
  • Can anyone recommend a decent turbo trainer for about £150 as I have one on my Christmas list! Preferably something where I can adjust the resistance from the bike.

What I want to be doing is spending no more than half an hour but reasonably high intensity to keep my climbing legs in order.

By my problem is that I'm allergic to faff, don't want something which is going to take a while to set up and to put away again at the end.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    normal tyres are fine on rollers, in fact that's the point, no wheel changing necessary.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • mickcee
    mickcee Posts: 46
    Anyone got any good interval workouts for beginners they can share, only started last Tuesday, had to get off after 15 mins as was kanckered and wet through with sweat, but managed to be on it most off the first half of the Newcastle match last night just plodding away.

So now want to start a programme that will push me but wont destroy me and put me off and my mrs be proved right that's its just something else that will take up room in the cupboard under the stairs.
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    mickcee wrote:
    Anyone got any good interval workouts for beginners they can share, only started last Tuesday, had to get off after 15 mins as was kanckered and wet through with sweat, but managed to be on it most off the first half of the Newcastle match last night just plodding away.

So now want to start a programme that will push me but wont destroy me and put me off and my mrs be proved right that's its just something else that will take up room in the cupboard under the stairs.

Get the biggest fan you can find and have running flat out once you get warmed up. It won't stop you sweating but will take the edge off the overheating.

As for workouts... I used to mix up 30-minute TT-level efforts, one-minute near-threshold efforts with two minute recoveries (aiming for 10 reps), and 45-60 minute less intense sessions. There are loads of different ideas out there online and Sufferfest videos are good if you want to slaughter yourself.
  • MacLeod113 wrote:
    I have a cheap turbo (sounds like a 747 taking off) and a set of rollers. got the rollers from wiggle 2 weeks ago (Elite Ghibli for £116 so cheap and very quiet. took 3 quick goes to get balanced then did a 30 minute session on the hoods in an easy gear. still work in progress but i just know i am going to love the rollers this winter.
    the plus side to rollers is they are so quiet i can actually use them in the evening when the kids are in bed.

Interesting, only got a turbo and I am banned from using it when anyone else is in due to the noise. I'm very tempted by rollers now you've said that...
  • Does anyone here use a mat with rollers? I have a mat under my turbo, but was surprised to read the Cycleops mat is not intended for use with rollers.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    Does anyone here use a mat with rollers? I have a mat under my turbo, but was surprised to read the Cycleops mat is not intended for use with rollers.

I have a Tacx mat and would not dream of using my turbo without one. Unless I was in a garage or outside I'd never turbo without it, as after a good session the mat is drenched.

Going back to the original question though. I think rollers require too much concentration. I like the fact that on a turbo you can go all out, collapse on your bars for a second, recover and then go again (bit of an exaggeration). With rollers you have to be careful as you could fall off and hurt yourselves. I also like to drink, eat, change the TV channel and cycle with my eyes shut, much harder to do those on rollers.
  • I'd like a set of rollers, but I'm a bit confused what to buy. You seem to be able to get a set with good reviews for under £150, but what are the benefits of a more expensive set? Are aluminium drums a big improvement? Are they quieter the more you spend? And is it worth getting adjustable resistance or are the gears enough for a good workout? Thanks :)
  • Hi there everyone!
    I've recently started using a turbo trainer, picked up a elite magnetic cycle trainer from halfords. Wasn't sure it was something I would keep using as it was on offer(£66) I thought why not. I use it with a polar h7 heart rate monitor and a cateye strada cadence cycle computer, with all the info it provides I find myself wanting to get straight bk on and better my previous session. Nathan
  • MacLeod113 wrote:
    I have a cheap turbo (sounds like a 747 taking off) and a set of rollers. got the rollers from wiggle 2 weeks ago (Elite Ghibli for £116 so cheap and very quiet. took 3 quick goes to get balanced then did a 30 minute session on the hoods in an easy gear. still work in progress but i just know i am going to love the rollers this winter.

Interesting, only got a turbo and I am banned from using it when anyone else is in due to the noise. I'm very tempted by rollers now you've said that...

I have the same issue. Got a turbo and the first thing the wife said was "not for when [child] is in bed" - which means pretty much never then.

Are rollers pretty much silent?
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Hi,
    I have a turbo (cyclops jet fluid pro) and rollers (cyclops aluminium ones). Whilst the rollers are much quieter than the turbo I wouldn't say they are silent, especially when you get up to full speed - there is def less vibration with rollers.

I use them for two different purposes ;

Turbo - structured interval workouts & sufferfest video sessions - in other words workouts when you are likely to work to exhaustion.

Rollers - endurance / tempo sessions and for working on form, cadence and bike handling.

I enjoy both, rollers are def less boring as you can't lose concentration but turbo is good for sessions where you want to go all out.

I record rides via trainer road - have a look to see the difference in sessions between rollers (last night) and turbo (today).

www.trainerroad.com/career/garryboy11
  • MacLeod113 wrote:

I have the same issue. Got a turbo and the first thing the wife said was "not for when [child] is in bed" - which means pretty much never then.

Are rollers pretty much silent?

Obviously different models will vary, but whilst not silent, they are quiet. I live in a block of flats on the ground floor, and sometimes use mine downstairs in the basement if not at work. I asked my wife to listen out once and she said she could only really hear them when deliberately trying to do so; this is a small block and the proximity is about comparable to downstairs/upstairs in a house. I don't think you'd get away with any midnight sessions, however!

I would recommend that you own a set regardless; riding rollers is fantastic for balance, handling and confidence, whilst turbo is best for high resistance work. The two complement one another well.