How tight front quick release on a carbon fork

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited October 2013 in Road beginners
Given what I have read about the fragile nature of carbon (i.e. use a torque wrench to avoid cracking etc), should I be worried about over-tightening the front quick release against the drop-outs? My LBS has tightened significantly IMO... but guess they know what doing

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,546
    The drop outs will be metal no?

Even if they're carbon, presumably they're solid and you're not going to crush solid carbon composite
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Far too many 'scare-stories' with carbon frames & components IME
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mine are tightened enough so that the lever is just holding level by the tension then I lock it. Have a look on youtube loads on there about it.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    it needs to be tight enough to stop the wheel shifting in the dropouts - easy to detect, the wheel will no longer be centred between the brake pads

fwiw i've got a full carbon fork, the pressure on the qr lever is quite firm, i'm not sure a qr could actually apply enough force to damage the cf dropouts

experiment with the adjustment nut, i find there's a point at which the closing force on the lever increases significantly, that's too tight, back off the nut 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It has to be solid. The drop outs aren't carbon so don't worry.

You want it to be a firm effort to undo it.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    cougie wrote:
    It has to be solid. The drop outs aren't carbon so don't worry.

How do you know? Mine are carbon, so it is not a given.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the same as if the fork was Alloy or steel or unobtainium. It does not matter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Just tight enough so that when you close it there's a slight imprint on the palm of your hand is how I gauge it.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    if your palm is bleeding and your bike is in two bits then youve probably overdone it ...
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I do up my QRs the same on the alu bike and the carbon one. Just starting to bite when the lever is in line with the axle; progressively tightening through the next 90 degrees.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Mikey23 wrote:
    if your palm is bleeding and your bike is in two bits then youve probably overdone it ...

Or you've left it too loose and the wheel has popped out going over a pot hole :D
  • Thanks all. Guess I was over worrying, but I may loosen a bit

It's a carbon fork. So I assume carbon drop outs
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    markiegrim wrote:
    Thanks all. Guess I was over worrying, but I may loosen a bit

My forks are carbon, and have alu dropouts! Don't assume they are carbon, take a look!
  • keef66
    Yep, I have an all carbon fork with carbon dropouts on the Scott CR1-SL, and a carbon / alu fork with alu dropouts on the racelight Tk.

(My feeling is that the all carbon arrangement is likely stronger / better long term since there's no alloy to carbon bonding involved)
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    markiegrim wrote:
    Thanks all. Guess I was over worrying, but I may loosen a bit

IME sometimes if you over tighten them they creak a bit.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    keef66 wrote:
    (My feeling is that the all carbon arrangement is likely stronger / better long term since there's no alloy to carbon bonding involved)
    I've seen photos of chewed up carbon dropouts over in Workshop ...
  • keef66
    Slowbike wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    I've seen photos of chewed up carbon dropouts over in Workshop ...

Me too, so I went home and checked mine which still appear showroom fresh. In that thread opinion seemed to be that either the QR had been insufficiently tightened or the dropouts were made of cheese.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    nochekmate wrote:
    Far too many 'scare-stories' with carbon frames & components IME
    Yes there are far too many scare stories. Completely unjustified they are too.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.