Rate my complaint!

daddy0
daddy0 Posts: 686
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
So last night I fettled my new Fulcrum Racing 5 wheelset on to my bike and went for a ride to test.
http://www.strava.com/activities/85151020
8)

10 minutes into the ride and... well just read the e-mail I just sent to TFL.

Just wanted to write to complain about the driving and general attitude of a bus driver.

At around 22:53 last night (Thursday 26th September 2013) a 320 bus, registration plate YN03 DFJ, sped up behind me unsafely whilst we headed NW on the A21 Bromley Common road towards Bromley. I was riding to the left of the road, but as there was a pinch point the driver had to quickly slow down to avoid hitting me. There was a bus stop coming up so it was unsafe and unwise for the driver to overtake me so I tried to speed up. The driver then drove even closer to me which was totally unnecessary, and it made me feel very uneasy. As I turned to look at the bus I could see the driver waving his arms at me to get out of his way, it looked like he also had both hands off the wheel at one point. I waved back at him to back off, he was too close and if I had fallen off or decided to slow down he could have easily run me over. A very short distance later he had to pull over at a bus stop, so I told the driver that he had been driving dangerously. He told me that I should be on the cycle path which is on the pavement on this part of road. I told him that the highway code says that bicycles travelling over 18mph should be on the road and I had been travelling at over 20mph, that he didn't know the highway code and repeated that he was driving dangerously so I would report him. His exact reply was “do what you want” and he then sped away as if to prove a point. Of course 2 minutes later we were both sat at the next set of lights, so I had not held him up in the slightest.

In my opinion the driver was not in control of himself, and really shouldn't have been driving. He was probably speeding, as he came up behind me at some pace. It seems to me that, despite me having lights and wearing reflective clothing, he didn't see me until the last minute and had to take emergency action to avoid running me down. Instead of apologising, which would've been the end of the matter, he decided to get angry and to threaten me with his bus.

I am a confident cyclist. I teach others to ride with the Bromley Cyclists, a council funded group. I help lead organised rides. I ride thousands of miles a year. I always follow the highway code and ride safely. I have countless interactions with other road users and always give way to buses when safe to do so. So please do not just disregard my complaint. At very least this driver needs to be told that this type of behavior endangers other road users, but maybe an anger management course would benefit him.

Comments

• Daddy0 wrote:
    Rate my complaint!

2/10

1. No change in Font to emphasise points
    2. No use of colours
    3. Not enough use of smillies
    4. No photos of said bus driver
    5. No photos of bus
    6. No hotlinking to google streetview
    7. No use of violence by either party
    8. No complaints about lack of Police action

Add those 8 and I'll give you a 10.

8)
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    You should have pointed out that busses don't even pay road tax so should get off the road.
    Also that a couple of streets over there was a bus lane so he should have been over there, using it.
    And I bet he wasn't even wearing a helmet.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Aah I see, just bragging that you got 3 KOMs....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Would have been better to put the context in ahead of the first complaining part rather than after, comes across very confusing. You ain't no Stephen King!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mikey23 wrote:

I'm confused, was he drafting too close to the bus?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Unless you cc'd that to Mayor of London, the leaders of all the regional assemblies, all Chief Superintendents, the Cabinet and Shadow Cabinet, the Leader of the Opposition, the PM, the Queen and the Pope, that's an EPIC FAIL! in my book.

Why didn't you just pull right into the middle of the lane, and drop to 10 mph? Chicken. :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,560
    Where's the helmet cam footage and the expletive laden rant at the bus driver?

Call yourself a commuter... :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    think thats whats know as "cycling in London" am afraid :-( something happens almost every ride (not always buses tho lol) just kinda get used to it , know where your coming from though !
  • daddy0
    Daddy0 wrote:
    Rate my complaint!

2/10

Blimey I feel lucky to have got 2! I did get a streetview link ready, but thought "this is pretty pointless". I did try taking photos of the bus and driver, but it was dark and the photos didn't come out very well, could just about read the number plate.
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Did I? Oh gosh, how embarrassing :oops: :wink:
    Why didn't you just pull right into the middle of the lane, and drop to 10 mph? Chicken. :twisted:
    I did. But the bus was already stopping at the bus stop, so it had limited effect.
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Where's the helmet cam footage and the expletive laden rant at the bus driver?
    Call yourself a commuter... :wink:
    I stopped with the helmet cam a while ago, wouldn't have helped much here anyway as I used to only have one and it faced forward.
    turnerjohn wrote:
    think thats whats know as "cycling in London" am afraid :-( something happens almost every ride (not always buses tho lol) just kinda get used to it , know where your coming from though !
    Yeah I know there are plenty of dodgy drivers out there. I am commuting to central London again next week during the rush hours - great fun. You do expect a bit of aggy driving in rush hour, however IMO London bus drivers are mostly pretty good at looking out for cyclists. This guy lost it at me totally unnecessarily, fool needed to be told!
  • daddy0
    Update - I got a reply from Metrobus! Here it is:

I write further to your complaint regarding the actions of our driver on the 320 service on 26th September 2013. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Metrobus expect all drivers to reach and sustain high driving standards as well as adhere to safety policies. The incident you refer to does not meet with company expectations and as such the driver has been identified thanks to the information which you have provided. Their details have been passed to our Staff Manager, who will interview the driver through the formal disciplinary procedures. Unfortunately I am unable to comment further on the case due to confidentiality within employment laws.

The incident which you have described clearly demonstrates that we still have some work to do with regards to our efforts to maintain our standards as a quality bus service provider.

Please accept my apologies on behalf of Metrobus for your poor experience.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Nice one - clearly they looked at the CCTV recorded on the bus (they have front facing cameras) and confirmed your complaint
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699
    Obviously it'd be better still if he hadn't done it in the first place, but I reckon that is a pretty good result.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Rate your complaint? No compensation for PTSD means 1/10.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Nice one - clearly they have heard of Twitter and confirmed that if they don'y respond to your complaint, all hell will break loose
    Is that what you really meant?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Not being a doctor, I can't give a definitive answer. But my guess would be somewhere between dhobie rash and the clap.