How to open a skewer

gotwood25
gotwood25 Posts: 314
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I am trying my best not to look like an absolute moron but I have a feeling it is going to happen.

Had my bike for just over a week now and decided it might be time to take off the wheels for a proper clean. Thinking the skewers were just like any other I didn't think there would be much of a problem, however they don't seem to be a standard quick release mechanism and just a 'turn anti clockwise' job. Front one is fine however the rear one I cannot fathom out as it hits the frame so can't turn anymore.

Should add they are Syncros skewers as found on Scott Foils.

I am sure there is going to be some simple explanation so I am expecting to be shot down :D but would also greatly appreciate the answer.

Cheers in advance.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j60edpxvw5unmnn/2013-09-27%2016.30.39.jpg

Comments

• google dt swiss rws. basically the same idea here. hth
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • Yeah done that, the only information I can get online is 'turn anti clockwise' which is fair enough. Unfortunately as I say I cannot get it past the frame. Any Foil owners out there can shed some light?
  • whilst holding the lever press the button in the middle with your thumb and then turn the lever anticlockwise.
  • And the award for making me look like a moron goes to.... Shadow!!

Hahaha dear me, knew it had to be something simple. Much appreciated fella, seems rather obvious now.
  • thats alright dude glad to be of service :wink:
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    And the award for making me look like a moron goes to.... Shadow!!
    Don't worry, mate, I've had my bike almost a year now and I only discovered about a week ago that you can get the wheel off without completely removing the skewer.

:oops:
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • gotwood25 wrote:
    And the award for making me look like a moron goes to.... Shadow!!
    Don't worry, mate, I've had my bike almost a year now and I only discovered about a week ago that you can get the wheel off without completely removing the skewer.

:oops:

Thanks for that one!