colnago frame broke: onm y first ride

adrian jewitt
adrian jewitt Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in Road general
I am very disappointed in Colnago. I bought a new Ace 105 in August and on its first ride the frame broke. No maltreatment involved: just a ride on country roads. Colnago are refusing to honour the warranty, saying I must have damaged it. I am outraged, not least because they imply I am lying. Does anyone else have a similar experience, is the brand overated? I deeply regret buying into the whole thing.....

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Your consumer rights are with the shop, not Colnago - simply inform the shop about the Sale of Goods Act and if you paid by credit card, raise a dispute with your cardholder.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    What he said but also you didnt mention about How & where did the frame break?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    To add, the obligation with the shop is to demonstrate the goods are "fit for purpose" and that a bike frame that breaks on the first ride clearly isn't. If the bike was new, you have the right to reject it for a certain period. More info on the nature of the 'breakage' would help otherwise some may acuse you of trolling.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • note to self ,never buy colonago
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    note to self ,never buy colonago

Or never take any notice of someone on an internet forum whose first post is to rant about a particular brand :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640

Good idea, buy Colnago instead, much better than colonago.
  • arran77
    Gozzy wrote:

Good idea, buy Colnago instead, much better than colonago.

I've heard that the colonago is a really gutsy ride :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • arran77 wrote:

Or never take any notice of someone on an internet forum whose first post is to rant about a particular brand :wink:

Note to self never pay attention to someone without a sense of humour :lol:
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • arran77
    arran77 wrote:

Note to self never pay attention to someone without a sense of humour :lol:

The :wink: at the end of my post indicates I'm not being serious :roll:

seanoconn
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I am very disappointed in Colnago. I bought a new Ace 105 in August and on its first ride the frame broke. No maltreatment involved: just a ride on country roads. Colnago are refusing to honour the warranty, saying I must have damaged it. I am outraged, not least because they imply I am lying. Does anyone else have a similar experience, is the brand overated? I deeply regret buying into the whole thing.....

I once hit a frame with a hammer and broke it. :D

Seriously though why haven't you taken it back to the retailer?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as already mentioned return it to the seller as not fit for pupose.
    so reading
    Your rights

When you buy goods you enter into a contract with the seller of those goods. Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979 goods must be:

'as described',
    'of satisfactory quality', and
    'fit for purpose' – this means both their everyday purpose, and also any specific purpose that you agreed with the seller (for example, if you specifically asked for a printer that would be compatible with your computer).

Goods sold must also match any sample you were shown in-store, or any description in a brochure.
    Who to complain to

If you think you have a claim under the Sale of Goods Act for one of the reasons above, you have several possible remedies, depending on the circumstances and on what you want done.

In most cases, your rights are against the retailer – the company that sold you the product – not the manufacturer, and so you must take any claim against the retailer. However, if you have bought something on hire purchase (HP), it is the HP company that is responsible.
    If you want to get your money back

If you buy a product that turns out to be faulty, you can choose to 'reject' it: give it back and get your money back. However, the law gives you only a 'reasonable' time to do this – what is reasonable depends on the product and how obvious the fault is. However, even with something like a car, you usually have no more than three to four weeks from when you receive it to reject it.

For more information read our guide on returning goods.

Did you pay by credit card? If so, read our guide on your rights when paying by credit card.
    If you want to get a faulty item replaced or repaired

You have the right to get a faulty item replaced or repaired, if you're happy with this (or if it's too late to reject it). You can ask the retailer to do either, but they can normally choose to do whatever would be cheapest.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the retailer must either repair or replace the goods 'within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience'. If the seller doesn't do this, you are entitled to claim either:

reduction on the purchase price, or
    your money back, minus an amount for the usage you've had of the goods (called 'recision').

If the retailer refuses to repair the goods, and they won't replace them either, you may have the right to arrange for someone else to repair it, and then claim compensation from the retailer for the cost of doing this.

You have six years to get a claim in to court for faulty goods in England, Wales and Northern Ireland; in Scotland you have five years.
    What you need to do to prove your claim

If your claim under the Sale of Goods Act ends up in court, you may have to prove that the fault was present when you bought the item and not, for example, something that was the result of normal wear and tear.
    Six months...and counting

If your claim is about a problem that arises within six months of buying the product, it's up to the retailer to prove that the goods were of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose, or 'as described' when it sold them e.g. by showing that the problem was caused by an external factor such as accidental damage. Beyond six months, it's up to you to prove that the problem was there when you received the goods even if it has taken until now to come to light.

So you may need to prove that the fault was not down to ordinary wear and tear or damage you caused, and that the product (or a component) should have lasted longer than it did. To do this you may need an expert's report, for example from an engineer or mechanic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I had a friend whose Colnago titanium broke after 4 years and they said that the warranty is only good for 3 years. On a ti bike????????
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    socrates wrote:
    I had a friend whose Colnago titanium broke after 4 years and they said that the warranty is only good for 3 years. On a ti bike????????

Lucky to get any guarentee at all on a Ti bike - I could never get my money back on the ladyboy I bought :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • No expert but surely the bike must meet certain quality and safety guidelines/criteria. Colnago is a respected brand ridden by the pro peloton. I cannot comprehend the negative response and after sales of a company supposedly up there with the best. Disappointing to say the least. Hope you get sorted.
  • My daughters Colnago CLX 2.0 developed a hairline crack in the top tube, I took it back to the Shop (Cycleworld, Portsmouth) and they sorted out everything. They stripped the bike down, sent the frame to the importer who then sent it back to Italy for inspection. Because the factory were on holiday for August (!) Cycleworld lent her a Cannondale Synapse while Colnago were making up their minds and Cycleworld's MD chased them up on our behalf to get a speedy answer. Colnago agreed to replace the frame for the newer model (CLX 3.0), frame arrived in 3 days and was built up by Cycleworld with new cables (internal cable on the new version).
    They didn't charge us a cent. That's a quality bike shop and manufacturer in my book.
  • arran77 wrote:
    I've heard that the colonago is a really gutsy ride :lol:

They're a pain in the @rse when impacted though :wink:
  • why hasnt OP provided pics and a better explanation??

i think this is a hoax
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • I think the word 'just' is hiding a multitude of sins here probably: a car, a cliff, a tractor, possibly light aircraft - I've seen a tubeless tyre 'dump it's load' in a cafe bike stand (hilarious), but never have I seen a frame just 'fall apart' - Pictures please or it didn't happen.
  • arran77
    I think the word 'just' is hiding a multitude of sins here probably: a car, a cliff, a tractor, possibly light aircraft - I've seen a tubeless tyre 'dump it's load' in a cafe bike stand (hilarious), but never have I seen a frame just 'fall apart' - Pictures please or it didn't happen.

I suspect you'll be waiting a long time for that :wink:

:lol:

seanoconn
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Get some decals and stick them over the crack.
  • First post, no evidence, no photos, buxxshxxt
  • hmm
    hmm Posts: 39
    I suspect this is probably the end of this story.
    Triban 3 - very red
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/780620

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right.”
    Henry Ford
  • Terrible luck but there must be a way to get around this? A guy in my local club has had a carbon and Scadium La Pierre frame replaced because he cracked the BB from sheer power and then he done it on his alloy winter bike but he had no issues gettin either frame replaced under warranty! Don't give up we pay a lot of money for Quality and that's what we should be getting
    "Training is like fighting a Gorilla. You don't stop when you're tired. You stop when the Gorilla is tired"
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Mickyg88 wrote:
    First post, no evidence, no photos, buxxshxxt

^this
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    With nothing else to go on I'll surmise he's 18+stone and flattened the thing. :twisted:
  • A brutal thread!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    h61E3EADC
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • To the OP... I am locking this thread as I think it's not genuine. If you want to supply photos give a shout and we can re-open it
    left the forum March 2023
This discussion has been closed.