Looking after new tyres

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Following a recommendation on this forum I bought some gp4000s. Seem great, a little quicker than I had before, but what do I know?

Anyway, in prep for this weekends big ride I had a close look at them. Still smooth and unmarked after 200 miles, but there are half a dozen small holes. Quite round, and perhaps 1mm in diameter. Like a grain of sand has been embedded and fallen out.

Should I do anything? This weekends ride is very important as it's for charity and a puncture would spoil my day.

I have read you can fill little holes with superglue. Good idea?

Thanks.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    just pick out any embedded bits of sharp stuff, otherwise leave alone

small cuts don't matter, any large+deep enough to causing bulging or the allow the tube to poke through require either a tyre boot (internal reinforcement patch) or binning the tyre
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Are these the holes that Continental have in the tyre to judge wear?
  • Just a thought, I have just fitted the same tyres to a bike. Is it possible that these holes are the wear indicators, as mine have these and the holes a maybe 1 mm or a bit bigger? The sidewall has the mark "TW" in line with these holes.
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    They're the tyre-wear 'checkers'.
    Cycling weakly
  • DaveM399 wrote:
    Just a thought, I have just fitted the same tyres to a bike. Is it possible that these holes are the wear indicators, as mine have these and the holes a maybe 1 mm or a bit bigger? The sidewall has the mark "TW" in line with these holes.

I will pop out to the garage and check.
  • That's definitely it, thanks. Two symmetrical holes on each tyre. TWI on both sides of the sidewall, directly opposite.

You live and learn.