Winter Series?

theprawn
theprawn Posts: 116
edited November 2013 in Amateur race
Does anyone know if there are any winter series happening at Cyclopark?

I know last year there were some from SERRL and finishline but I can't see any details on either.

Fancy getting another race in before the end of the year if I can.

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Heard there might be some races in Bath around Christmas but nothing concrete yet.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    SERRL will do a winter series, I think they are announcing dates soon. Not sure about Finishline - they were getting big numbers last winter so you'd think they would do it again. Usually Hillingdon / Hog Hill as well.
  • Lion-O
    Lion-O Posts: 48
    Hillingdon first race is 7th December. Im looking at the SERRL at the cyclo park but ride for Ipswich BC therefore not a member SERRL member club. Does anyone know if i have to pay to join as an individual to race? if so does membership cover the winter and summer series?

Thanks

Ben
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Lion-O wrote:
    Hillingdon first race is 7th December. Im looking at the SERRL at the cyclo park but ride for Ipswich BC therefore not a member SERRL member club. Does anyone know if i have to pay to join as an individual to race? if so does membership cover the winter and summer series?

Thanks

Ben
    http://www.serrl.com/p/affiliated-clubs.html If you try to enter online, you'll get charged to affiliate. If you enter on the day, you just pay more. Not sure how long membership goes -- people who affiliated in summer get free affiliation for the following winter series but not sure if it's vice versa.
  • Lion-O
    Thanks.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/99920/Inverse-RT-Winter-Points-Grabber-1

Next obvious London crit. I'm slightly surprised not to see more though, I suspect it's the usual end of year calendar problems so imagine other things will appear soon enough.
  • This is the SERRL winter start date.

Going to be run as a handicap this year, so 4s off first, followed by 3s etc. I'm sure the 2s and 1s will love racing alongside 3s and 4s with little experience (and I count myself in this btw).

www.riderhq.com/events/67052/serrl-winter-series-1
  • bigmat
    Chadders81 wrote:
    This is the SERRL winter start date.

Going to be run as a handicap this year, so 4s off first, followed by 3s etc. I'm sure the 2s and 1s will love racing alongside 3s and 4s with little experience (and I count myself in this btw).

http://www.riderhq.com/events/67052/ser ... r-series-1

Its all on the same circuit so you'll come across each other sooner or later anyway. Had a couple of awful races last year with large E/1/2, 3/4 and women's races all running at the same time - last lap was ridiculous as nobody got pulled so you ended up with back markers dawdling along in the midst of a frenetic sprint finish. At least with a handicap all the less experienced guys are likely to be ahead of you until you catch them, then you have a whole lap to make up once you overtake them before they trouble you again!
  • theprawn
    seen some dates mentioned for this. typically the only one in November is on the 10th when I'm doing a sportive with some mates.

do the races in 2014 (Jan and Feb) count towards your 2013 points tally or your 2014 one?
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    Chadders81 wrote:

If they don't like it, they don't have to ride. The category system is not based on experience.
  • bigmat
    theprawn wrote:
    seen some dates mentioned for this. typically the only one in November is on the 10th when I'm doing a sportive with some mates.

do the races in 2014 (Jan and Feb) count towards your 2013 points tally or your 2014 one?

Points gained before 1 December 2013 count to this year's points, after that they go towards 2014.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

If they don't like it, they don't have to ride. The category system is not based on experience.

They'll be out the back pronto when the 1/E catch them anyway so doubt its an issue really.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • theprawn
    it sounds like fun. i'll give one a go.

thanks for the points info.
  • Tom Dean
    okgo wrote:
    Tom Dean wrote:
    Chadders81 wrote:

They'll be out the back pronto when the 1/E catch them anyway so doubt its an issue really.
    The whole handicap thing would be fairly pointless if this were so clear-cut. Plenty of 3rds and 4ths are more than capable of hanging in.
  • okgo
    On a circuit like cyclopark if a decent contingent of elite/1st cat/strong 2nd cats then I would think most 3/4 riders would be gone.

The whole handicap is usually fairly pointless the only 'mystery' about it is if the front group have been given a big enough gap and whether they work to stay away or muck about like silly buggers :D
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Tom Dean
    Of course it depends how hard the circuit is and how many are in each cat group etc. My point really was about the BS attitude that higher cat riders are somehow above riding with less experienced riders.
  • okgo
    I'd agree with you that riding with 3rd cats isn't usually much of an issue, but you cannot deny there are a lot of odd moves in 4th cat racing. Conversely over the time I've moved through from 4ths crash fests at hillingdon to long road races with elites, the riding standard is better. And I've not been in a crash now in two seasons, where it only took a month before I came a cropper in a 4th cat race (no fault of mine!).
  • Lion-O
    Looks like a good place to start having had 3 seasons off the bike. I hope i can rember how to race ha ha
  • Tom Dean
    okgo wrote:
    I'd agree with you that riding with 3rd cats isn't usually much of an issue, but you cannot deny there are a lot of odd moves in 4th cat racing. Conversely over the time I've moved through from 4ths crash fests at hillingdon to long road races with elites, the riding standard is better. And I've not been in a crash now in two seasons, where it only took a month before I came a cropper in a 4th cat race (no fault of mine!).
    I don't deny it, I just don't think higher cats deserve extra protection from it, because they happen to have won a few points. Anyways, we're OT slightly - Chadders, don't feel you have to apologise for being a new racer. Bad riding / decision making is generally a result of attitude IMO. Experience plays into this of course, but it's not hard to get right from day 1. If you ride like an idiot, all cats will be pissed off with you! if you don't, no-one will know you are a newbie.
  • theprawn
    any news on whether there is racing at Hog Hill this winter too? i had no idea i had another circuit so close to me.

out of interest, do they do weekend racing at Hog Hill over the summer too, or is it just the evening series?
  • okgo
    Yes they have racing there most weekends, also most bank holidays.
  • theprawn
    Brilliant, looks like I might have to give this whole racing lark a proper go next year then. Set my sights on Cat 2.
  • Tom Dean wrote:
    okgo wrote:
    I don't deny it, I just don't think higher cats deserve extra protection from it, because they happen to have won a few points. Anyways, we're OT slightly - Chadders, don't feel you have to apologise for being a new racer. Bad riding / decision making is generally a result of attitude IMO. Experience plays into this of course, but it's not hard to get right from day 1. If you ride like an idiot, all cats will be pissed off with you! if you don't, no-one will know you are a newbie.

SERRL are doing some coaching at Cyclopark between now and the start of the season so I'm going to do a session or two before I start. I'm pretty confident and competent riding at close quarters from chain gangs etc but I'm worried about others. First few races, I'll be using my alu commuter with my best wheels. Don't fancy smacking up my best bike.
  • theprawn
    theprawn wrote:
    Brilliant, looks like I might have to give this whole racing lark a proper go next year then. Set my sights on Cat 2.

I hate to be pedantic, but you mean "2nd cat." Now don't ever make that mistake again :wink:

ha! i guess i should pay attention. Cat 2 is a climb or an American right. :)
  • theprawn
    To be fair, I'm quite confused. As a mountain biker, triathlete and now 3rd Category (I'm learning) cyclist I''ve got so much terminology to remember it hurts my tiny brain.
  • Tom Dean
    Hog Hill winter series is on the BC calendar now - starting 11th Jan for 6 weeks.
  • theprawn
    great thanks!