Tektro RX 4.1 levers for Bull bars - need a hole??

bartman100
bartman100 Posts: 544
edited October 2013 in Workshop
Hello,

I have bull bars on a fixie but no brakes currently. I bought some RX 4.1 levers which fit just fine. Guy in LBS says I need bull bars with holes in to route the cables through. Guess I made a mistake in thinking the cables could just go under the bar tape.

Anyone offer advice and/or some bars that might be good - I'm set on having bare end type brakes - don't want cross-tops.

Much.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shouldn't need to drill bars, just run the cable externally
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Looked at a few sites and there is no mention of internal or external cable routing. When fitted where does the inner cable emerge from the brake lever?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    I think the issue is the Tektro aero levers cable comes into the lever through the centre of the bar, rather than externally.
    I had a set of bontrager aero levers on my old TT bars which were cabled internally with a hole in the bars near the stem into which the brake cable entered the inside of the bar, then it exited just before the brake lever. When I swapped to a set of 3t Auras, they had the cable entrance nr the stem but no brake cable near the brake lever, and I needed to use Tektro levers in order to avoid drilling a hole .

The op has the opposite problem in that he is looking to have an external cable run under bar tape and the Tektro brake levers would require a hole in the bar somewhere to bring the brake cable inside the bar.

Look for different levers.... ;)

These will work http://m.evanscycles.com/products/bontr ... s-ec008348

These won't without a hole to bring the cable inside the bars http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/co ... -10-37813/
  • thanks all.

So, Moonshine - the levers you link to will DEF work with my bars? So that I can run them externally under the tape? That's the best solution for me. Thanks.