Best time to sell?

iand-83
iand-83 Posts: 132
edited September 2013 in Road general
Not really getting on with my Giant Defy so thinking of selling up and getting a hybrid instead as 95% of my riding is commuting and I feel the upright position would suit me better.

I have spent ages trying to get the bike comfy but it's not working for me. My body doesn't like being in the road bike position. So was just wondering is there a best time of the year to sell up?

Comments

• ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    From my experience working in a cycle shop I'd say right now is probably the worst time - nights are drawing in, getting colder, people thinking less about cycling etc. A few weeks before Xmas would be much better, but April, May and June are probably the best
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Best time to buy is right now, or wait until Jan/Feb
  • Best time to sell is May June time, but a popular bike like the Defy should go at good price anytime. :)
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Not now. I've just been looking for a winter bike, so I've been scanning for second hand bikes and there's tons of bargains about at the moment, 2012 ultegra equipped carbon TCRs...£750, 105 Defys seem to be going for about £500. I'd put it down to the sales.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    you'd be better off converting it to a flat bar; normal MTB brake levers and set of 10speed under bar shifter and flog the drop bar stuff on fleebay....you may even make money on the overal deal !
  • If it's lower end people are after winter bikes, so now (bike shops are discounting new bikes this time of year though) generally for the UK it's when it starts getting warmer, so just a couple of weeks window sometime in the summer.
  • iand-83
    iand-83 Posts: 132
    turnerjohn wrote:
    you'd be better off converting it to a flat bar; normal MTB brake levers and set of 10speed under bar shifter and flog the drop bar stuff on fleebay....you may even make money on the overal deal !

I had a look into this and compared my Defy to the Giant Rapid which looks like the flat bar equivalent, but the Rapid has a longer frame but can't find any spec for the size of the stem but it looks shorter in the pics I can find. So wondering if the overall lengths work out the same. Had a look about and I think converting it will cost me about £100 or there abouts.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You'd probably need a longer stem as well, but you could pick one up for a tenner. But I'd suggest the problem is more with bike set up since the Giant Defy is quite high at the front so not exactly a racey position. Might be worth looking at longer/shorter stems and your saddle fore/aft position before getting a hybrid. Unless it's a sit-up-and-beg position you want then you should be able to get the same position with drops on your bike as you'd be able to get with flat bars.
    More problems but still living....