ITS TIME!!!

mr joey
mr joey Posts: 427
edited October 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi all well a years gone by since my accident (broken wrist,and forearm)the missus has had enough of me standing looking out of the window sighing (knew it would work :D ) while the lads are at scotland, lakes, and now talk of the alps next year she said i can get a new steed!! the claim is ongoing with work (as usuall) so biting the bullet and going 0% so here goes, my budget is roughly 2300 ish defo fs not after a big hitting bike as i wont be doing huge drops etc looking at 150mm bikes go to 160mm fitness isnt a problem as ive kept up running and back at work for the last 8 months(binman!!) but alot has changed in a year wheel sizes etc so any info would be welcome. oh and if france comes off it will be mostly xc with abit of fun thrown in cheers

Comments

• Giant Trance SX. Should pedal like an xc bike but with the ability to take hits and get you down some gnarly trails.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Giant trance
    Nukeproof Mega TR or it's bigger brother AM
    Transition Bandit or Covert
    Specialized Stumpjumper EVO
    Lapierre Zesty
    Trek Remedy
    Trek Fuel
    Cube Fritzz
    Whyte G150
    Saracen Ariel

That should give you some to look at and get a flavour
    As for cost most are over £2300 new but you can pick one up second hand or hunt for a deal
  • He needs 0% finance so picking bikes above his budget ain't going to help.

Wheel size - go with 26 or 27.5 in my opinion - 29er might be worth a try but I am not sure they are the way forward.

Trek Fuel Ex or the Giant Trance should be within budget and available from appropriate shops with finance. Maybe a Stumpjumper too. Saracen possibly from Evans too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Aren't all Stumpy's 29er's these days?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • You can get better deals if you go with an interest free credit card and shop around for discounted bikes.
  • ej2320
    He needs 0% finance so picking bikes above his budget ain't going to help.

Wheel size - go with 26 or 27.5 in my opinion - 29er might be worth a try but I am not sure they are the way forward.

Trek Fuel Ex or the Giant Trance should be within budget and available from appropriate shops with finance. Maybe a Stumpjumper too. Saracen possibly from Evans too.

In all fairness he said "about 2300 ish" so I assumed he would consider some above that
  • ej2320
    Aren't all Stumpy's 29er's these days?

Forgot about that, personally I'd try get a 2012 stumpy, you'd get a decent price
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Aren't all Stumpy's 29er's these days?

Not all the EVO models. The Comp and Expert Carbon 2013 models are 26".
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    No advice from me, just a comment about how things seemed to have changed.

Not big-hitting but 150/160 mm of travel

Not being judgemental - it's your money (or maybe not on 0% :wink: ), so your choice, just a comment
  • ha! ^^ I thought the same the thing when I read that.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I also set my budget at 2300, but then decided Interest free was the way, so I spent 3800, but it got me what I wanted.

As far as I read 29ers outsold 26s in specialized land by 7 to 1, that being said im unsure on the Longevity of the 29er, but it will be some years before it goes, I just feel the new 650B is the middle ground and the one I favoured

make sure you upgrade or whatever to the best fork/shock you can, as these can and do cost a fortune to replace once you own the thing.

Brakes etc are fun to do and not a bigger hit.

As for your list the 2014 specialized stumpjumpergot 10/10 in one of the MTB mags and the lapierres are good.

Also check out the Titus El Guapo, that's a very good bike for the money...
    I was amazed at the interest free credit agreement, I basially ticked a few boxes online and wham it was done, no more silly paperwork etc...
  • 2013 Stumpy
  • mr joey
    i think ive decided all im crap at posting links so ile just say 2013 cube AMS 150 super hpc sl £3200 down to 2300 at leisure lakes your thoughts on this bike please its got everything i need
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Copy from address bar and paste here. How hard can it be?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    2013 Stumpy

+1
  • ej2320
    mr joey wrote:
    i think ive decided all im crap at posting links so ile just say 2013 cube AMS 150 super hpc sl £3200 down to 2300 at leisure lakes your thoughts on this bike please its got everything i need

Check the head angle, that will be important if you want it to be "hard hitting" some of the old cube ams models have steep HA considering the usage
  • mr joey
    My search is over ive just brought home my specialized stuntjumper fsr comp evo and im well chuffed
  • ej2320
    mr joey wrote:
    My search is over ive just brought home my specialized stuntjumper fsr comp evo and im well chuffed

Brilliant, get some pics up in the your bike section ;)