Annual leave at work - legal advice

katiebob
katiebob Posts: 208
edited October 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

A legal question if I may. We have been told at work that we need to take 10 consecutive days leave as part of anti-money laundering thingummies...

It's not in my contract, or the leave policy, or the leave support pack, or the fraud prevention policy.

Can they enforce this without showing me where I have agreed it?

Kat

Comments

• The connection between your holiday and money laundering being?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • the longer i'm off the longer theyll have to discover my non-existent dodgy dealings ;-)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    line of business?
  • Financial Services - leasing
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    doesnt sound legit to me.

ask them to give you the 10 days as paid leave but not our of your holiday allowance as you dont want to use your holidays up as and when you are commanded to
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I don't know about the legals, but it certainly is common practice.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    davmaggs wrote:
    I don't know about the legals, but it certainly is common practice.
    Yep, very common practice in financial sector.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I think technically your employer can tell you exacly when your holiday is (similar to this NI link)

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/ ... ke_holiday
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    The connection between your holiday and money laundering being?

Not just ML but also plain fraud checks.
    The idea being that with your colleagues looking after your work for two weeks they're more likely to find any dodgy things you may have been up to..
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    My office shuts down for week between Christmas and New year and forces me to take it as holiday.

Suffice to say this is not popular.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Would be surprised if it wasn't in the staff handbook or similar. Certainly was at my place and 2 weeks is a requirement in the industry for most front and middle office roles.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    The connection between your holiday and money laundering being?

Not just ML but also plain fraud checks.
    The idea being that with your colleagues looking after your work for two weeks they're more likely to find any dodgy things you may have been up to..

Bugs me as I have no dealings with the fraud side. Unless someone discovers that I didnt Photocopy something correctly!
  • In my experience it's mostly on the trading, structuring and compliance sides. M&A and such don't seem to be forced to take extended breaks.
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    As stated above when annual leave is taken as determined by the employer. Not sure on UK law but in Ireland it is also the obligation of the employer to ensure it is taken and not paid in lieu and not just in financial services.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Pretty common isn't it? Academic staff commonly have to take their holidays at certain times of the year, I expect most of us must take some time off over Christmas too. F1 teams are required to shut down completely at the break point in the season; I'm sure they would challenge it if they could!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • I'd expect that this kind of thing would have to be in your contract. It certainly is in mine (ok, not financial) that states the company may nominate 5 days over Christmas.

Actually reading this: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/l/j/AL03_1.pdf, if it's common practice in the company then it may well be fair game:
    Restrictions on taking holidays may be expressly stated in the contract of
    employment, implied from custom and practice or incorporated into individual
    contracts from a collective agreement between the employer and trade union(s).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Are you in a union or staff association?
    What does your contract of service say?
    If no to the above, I suspect you are stuffed...
  • I'd very much suspect that it would be unenforceable, however, if the reasons for the provision being in place are to prevent money laundering and you refuse to comply then as your line manager I'd have to have a word with your MLRO.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's what's in your T&C's of employment that count.....

Some jobs clearly will dictate holidays (e.g. manufacturing staff tied to plan shutdowns), many office jobs mandate Christams to new year.

If it's not in the T&C's query it and ask what compensation they are offering for varying the T&C's.

We recently had this at work where the travel dept want to change the travel policy to save a few quid (considering my travel bill for a year is about £12K, it would have saved about £200 every 2-3 years), to many employees it was a significant degradation in T&C's so HR were 'informed' that the travel dept where trying to vary our T&C's without consultation or any compensation and put an end to the proposed change.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Not stated in my contract anywhere - states I get 25 days and thats it.

Im not in a union. If I cant get clarification on where it is I'll speak to Citizens advice.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    why not book 2 weeks in the sun. It sounds like you need to chill out a bit anyway.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    t4tomo wrote:
    why not book 2 weeks in the sun. It sounds like you need to chill out a bit anyway.

WTF? If you'd understood that you'd got 25 days to be allocated pretty much as you see fit (within reason), would you not be at least a tiny bit disgruntled that some person who doesn't know or care a jot about your real life dictate that 40% of that "free choice" was being taken away?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Katiebob wrote:
    Financial Services - leasing

Worked in Leasing for a few years. It was standard practice to have 10 days off, although it wasn't often enforced.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • I had to agree to something similar when I TUPE'd into a bank. Never mind that I had been doing the same job for 3 years before that with an outsourcing company.

And if I remember correctly that was 10 working days, so 2 weeks over Christmas didn't count. Something you'd best check as well.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    My office shuts down for week between Christmas and New year and forces me to take it as holiday.

Suffice to say this is not popular.

We have exactly this in our office, quite common in the construction industry, and I love it, I normally always extend the break to a couple of weeks, love being off at Christmas :mrgreen:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MBCaad8
    MBCaad8 Posts: 127
    [Puts on legal hat]

Your employer can tell you when you have to take your holidays, but has to give you at least twice as much notice as the length of time they want you to take, ie 4 weeks' notice if they want you to take 2 weeks off. It doesn't matter if this isn't written into your contract, or the leave policy, or the leave support pack, or the fraud prevention policy.

[Takes off legal hat, puts on tin hat]
  • MBCaad8 wrote:
    [Puts on legal hat]

Your employer can tell you when you have to take your holidays, but has to give you at least twice as much notice as the length of time they want you to take, ie 4 weeks' notice if they want you to take 2 weeks off. It doesn't matter if this isn't written into your contract, or the leave policy, or the leave support pack, or the fraud prevention policy.

[Takes off legal hat, puts on tin hat]

Bum :lol:
  • This very common in the finance sector, particularly in trading, sales, structuring as Big Lights says. The idea is that whilst you're away they have the time to check through your books/trades etc and any dodgy stuff you're hiding will come out. It may be a FSA (or whatever they call themselves these days) regulation....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    davis wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

WTF? If you'd understood that you'd got 25 days to be allocated pretty much as you see fit (within reason), would you not be at least a tiny bit disgruntled that some person who doesn't know or care a jot about your real life dictate that 40% of that "free choice" was being taken away?

you need a couple of weeks in the sun too. :D its not taken away or restricted choice. Its only that one 2 week block has to be taken consecutively at a time of the employees choosing. Its is relativley normal to take a 2 week holiday.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    t4tomo wrote:
    davis wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

you need a couple of weeks in the sun too. :D its not taken away or restricted choice. Its only that one 2 week block has to be taken consecutively at a time of the employees choosing. Its is relativley normal to take a 2 week holiday.

Meh. I quite like taking lots of consecutive Mondays off. 4 day weeks rock. Plus I don't have the money to go on a 2 week holiday in the sun (nor would I want to go somewhere hot, but I see what you're trying to say)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.