Yeti SB66 or a Nomad C

jolmes
jolmes Posts: 144
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
About to take the plunge on a new bike and am facing the touch choice, brand new 2013 yeti sb66a or a 2nd hand hardly used 2012 carbon nomad both for the very same price and also both frame only options...

With the yeti I'd be able to use my existing forks (32 150 floats) however to get the full ride out of a Nomad I'd need to source some 160's at least which is a little out of budget atm!

Anybody else had a similar mind battle? Both bikes I've had as a dream build for a long time but at the moment, the yeti is winning just that extra touch...

Any advice from any previous owners?

Comments

• ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I haven't had experience but the yeti looks a lot nicer than in the photos and was considering demoing at one point
    (Athough a lot of bikes look better in the flesh)

Personally I'd go for the nomad mainly due to the fact it's carbon

As for forks you can get a RS Pike RCT3 for about £590

I was in a kinda similar situation to you looking at a 160mm travel frame and I went for the new transition covert (they do a carbon version too) those two were out of my price range :( although I don't think you can go wrong with either but maybe demo the yeti as there's a lot of different opinions on the switch suspension system
  • Have you not considered a Nomad alloy frame? I guess you would still have the fork problem though.

Given the choice you have between the two I would buy the new one. Purely so you have a warranty.
  • ej2320
    The warranty is a good point actually, forgot about that
  • jolmes
    I did consider a Nomad Alloy yes but the price of this carbon nomad is a real nonsensical move, cheaper than the alloy...but then again. If the guy selling it is ok giving me details of his purchase/registration/warranty information it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I do have a Blur LT at the moment and do love the VPP but the switch seems to roll much smoother through the trails i've noticed, well than my blur anyway, its kind of on par with the nomad.

Plus just found out there is only one xl sb66 left at the shop and its in black/grey which is no where near as nice looking as the black/turquoise yeti or matte black and blue Nomad :)
  • sb66 frame is 1kg heavier..........
  • Ideally you'd want a beefier fork on the Yeti than a 32 anyway, no?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I demo'd both as was having a simialr dilema about 18 month ago. of course it's all personal opinion, but i thought the carbon nomad was noticeably better than the carbon yetti in terms of livelyness and general fun (the sb66 is a good bike though). i'm guessing this gap woould be compounded when looking at the nomad c versus yeti alu.

also i din't really like the linkage on the sb66 and read a number of stories about the bearings wearing very quickly.

all in all, i'd definately go for the carbon nomad. three years after hitting the market i still think it's one of the best bikes out there if you want a true 'one bike to do it all' / all mountain rig
  • jolmes
    Could of sworn I'd reply to this a second a go!

Anyway bit of an update, I have decided to go view this Carbon Nomad and pair it with some X-fusion Vengeance forks. Sticking with Santa Cruz was always at the back of my mind, do love their frames and customer support over here.

Thanks for the advice and pointers :)
  • ej2320
    Good choice.. :)