Which magazines?

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I am interested in road riding, but not racing, or professional competition.

Are there any decent magazines?
Which websites are worth visiting?

Thanks.

Comments

• izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I subscribe to Cyclist.

They do seem to have good trial offers for 3 months subscriptions.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    cycling plus is best one I have found.Covers most of the roady basics.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Cycling active. :D
  • evs78
    evs78 Posts: 133
    I subscribe to both Cycling Plus and the Cyclist and really enjoy both. I would say that Cycling Plus is more generalist and has good reviews across the board of bikes and gear, with some bits on UK rides and routes and some good general columns. I found it good as a newcomer to cycling as it constantly gave me the incentive and info to (a) get out on my bike and (b) upgrade almost every bit of it!

The Cyclist is aimed at the very rich or the dreamers (I unfortunately fall into the latter category) who want the best of everything for their bike. Generally bike reviews will be of top end bikes (£5k+), ride reviews will be of overseas routes around the alps, Mallorca, Morocco, etc and the accessories reviewed will generally be pricey too. The writing is generally good, although there can be a little too much focus on articles about top end brands and their heritage and on the science of cycling (neither of which ever get my attention). The best bit about the Cyclist mag is the photography, which is superb and makes it the only mag which is allowed to be left around the living room by the other half!
    All the gear and no idea...
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm a fan of Cyclist but agree that it is a bit more 'coffee table' than some of the other mags, still has some useful stuff in though and the photography is excellent.

If you're after proper 'coffee table' though check out Rouleur magazine :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • I'm finding that Cycling+ is getting a bit too focused on sportive training plans and getting all scientific about diet and how to ride, for that reason, I am reading more of Cyclist, which has a bit of that element, but more on features of great places to go riding. And while their bike reviews might be out of reach, at least it isnt another 'whats the best sportive bike for £xxx'
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Being flippant:

Cycling Active: "What's the best commuting hybrid for £500"?
    Cycling Plus: "What's the best sportive bike for £1500"?
    Cycling Weekly: "Froome or Wiggins"?
    Cyclist: "Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites or Tyrol"?
    Rouleur: "Espresso or Ristretto"?
  • Cycling Plus is good for a newbie for a year or so until they keep repeating the same articles and reviews, its seems to be quite aimed at sportive riders. Most of the reviews though do appear on Bikeradar a couple of weeks after they appear in C+.

Cycling Active is a bit more focused for commuters imo.

Cyclist seems to be getting quite a few people that have got a bit bored of C+ and I for one am going to give it a go, although I do like the reviews in C+.
  • What g00se said. I myself subscribe to Cycling Plus & buy Cyclist when I remember.
    Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
    Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It depends what you're looking for, but Rouleur is excellent for race reviews/previews and interviews with Pros etc
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thanks all. I shall give a few a try and see where I end up.

Websites?
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221

here
    road.cc and
    velonews.competitor.com for the Lennard Zinn tech articles and postbag.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Thanks all. I shall give a few a try and see where I end up.

Websites?

This is the only website available, all others get blocked by the management :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Adding to Goose's comments:

Cycling Active: "What's the best commuting hybrid for £500"? Read on a train; quite quick unless you are into diets
    Cycling Plus: "What's the best sportive bike for £1500"? Read on a plane; as it has more articles
    Cycling Weekly: "Froome or Wiggins"? Read in WH Smith; done in 3 minutes
    Cyclist: "Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites or Tyrol"? Read on toilet/in bed; helps with escapism
    Rouleur: "Espresso or Ristretto"? Read in Cycling shop; only suckers pay that much!
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    izza wrote:

Cycling Active: "What's the best commuting hybrid for £500"? Read on a train; quite quick unless you are into diets
    Cycling Plus: "What's the best sportive bike for £1500"? Read on a plane; as it has more articles
    Cyclist: "Alps, Pyrenees, Dolomites or Tyrol"? Read on toilet/in bed; helps with escapism
    Rouleur: "Espresso or Ristretto"? Read in Cycling shop; only suckers pay that much!
    Good summary! :D

Most mags get repetitive. C+ was OK when I was getting back into cycling but I quickly grew bored of it. Cycling Weekly should be renamed Sportive Weekly, that's all they ever talk about.

Websites:
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/
    http://rouleur.cc/
    http://road.cc/
    http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I subscribed to C+ for 10 years but gave it up last year and now but Cyclist as it is more about riding than what you ride.
  • Started with Cycling Active but that seems to be aimed at older riders so I packed that in about 5 months ago. Cycling Plus is a reasonable mix but Cyclist wins it hands down for me. Longer articles and ride write ups and great photographs.
  • pete_s
    pete_s Posts: 213
    Boneshaker.
  • izza wrote:

My lbs sells back issues of rouleur for £4, doesn't really matter if it is out of date with that type of mag
  • I find cyclist a little too coffee table and light on real content. as an example I think they had an article on pedals. I was disappointed as I was hoping for an objective comparison between brands/types. It was a little too much into history rather than current products. Similarly on saddles - lots of interesting info about the companies but little to help make a choice.

P.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • That's probably the one criticism I'd have of Cyclist is that they never come to a conclusion in the comparisons. The photography is great though. And I do enjoy reading the magazine. I'm in the dreamer category.

I alos subscribe to Cycling Active (but not for much longer) and to be honest, their reviews might come out with a 'winner' but everything will get 4, 4.5 or 5 stars so really their usual conclusion is 'We preferred this one, but all are good and it'll be down to personal preference'.

SpinCycle is an online magazine that's like a really down to earth version of Cyclist & Rouleur. It has to be - its fundamentally a North-west UK centric thing. So Cross O' Greet rather than Croix de Fer.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Guanajuato wrote:
    That's probably the one criticism I'd have of Cyclist is that they never come to a conclusion in the comparisons. The photography is great though. And I do enjoy reading the magazine. I'm in the dreamer category.

I alos subscribe to Cycling Active (but not for much longer) and to be honest, their reviews might come out with a 'winner' but everything will get 4, 4.5 or 5 stars so really their usual conclusion is 'We preferred this one, but all are good and it'll be down to personal preference'.

SpinCycle is an online magazine that's like a really down to earth version of Cyclist & Rouleur. It has to be - its fundamentally a North-west UK centric thing. So Cross O' Greet rather than Croix de Fer.
    It may be that Cyclist is trying to do something different with reviews. Some people like that approach.

Most products get 4 or 4.5 out of 5 because they're all very good now and yes, it's often personal preference or with clothing just whether the fit and colours are your bag. Perhaps that's why I found C+ style reviews often left me no wiser. I have found UK cycling forums a better source of 'real world' reviews; while people have very varied experiences, the cream usually rises to the top - consistently good products and brands get lots of favourable mentions.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • I find it hard not to pick up a magazine most months for a train journey or something. Ok to pass a bit of time but I nearly always think I should have saved my £5. Currently going for Cyclist. I don't agree that the writing is good in any of them. Too repetitive and too many cliches. Also, every article, even the so called theory/scientific ones are just marketing for whatever brand is mentioned in that article. Magazines are just glorified catalogues really. If you like buying stuff, magazines a great for feeding the spender in you!

I've found the huge number of cycling books to be far better if I want some cycling related reading. Richard Moore and Ned bolting to name a couple who seem to write well. If you like reading about equipment there are books on that too. If you have a kindle you don't even need to fill your house and the price is hardly much more than a magazine.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Guanajuato wrote:
    That's probably the one criticism I'd have of Cyclist is that they never come to a conclusion in the comparisons. The photography is great though. And I do enjoy reading the magazine. I'm in the dreamer category.

Just got a subscription to Cyclist for a change from Cycling Plus. I don't think the lack of conclusions in their reviews is an issue, one of the reasons I was getting tired of Cycling Plus was the triviality of their reviews - they'd be coming to conclusions based on things like the gear range or whether the bike had a tapered head tube! Or comparing bib shorts and marking products down on how warm/cold they were!

I think Cyclist is good for a bit of escapism and it is very nicely done. Some of the articles are a bit random, like the feature on how sunglasses work, and I'd like a mag based more on the uk cycling and racing scene. Spin Cycle Mag is good, surely there must be a gap in the market for something like this on a national basis? Or maybe not given the direction that Cycling Weekly has gone in.