RT 58

bikeit65
bikeit65 Posts: 983
edited October 2013 in Road buying advice
Anyone seen the Planet X RT 58 in the new colors green & white?
https://www.instagram.com/seanmcgrathphotography/
Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
Planet X RT58
Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.
Pain.. Is weakness leaving the body.

HATING LIFE-CYCLES FROM 2011

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    No pictures on web site as of today.
  • diamonddog wrote:
    No pictures on web site as of today.

No pics and no bikes (RT-58).Put me off buying one as they were quoting a mid-October delivery date back in August. bought a Ribble instead.
  • Spatulala
    Spatulala Posts: 291
    Email from em today. Looks nice, if a little too much Cannondale. My worry is that nobody seems to want to do a review of it. Road.cc had one delivered months ago and to date have never reviewed it. I wonder why not?
  • Spatulala
    CBPXRT58ULT6800_P1.jpg

£1499 with 11sp Ultegra
  • diamonddog
    Looks a bit different that.
  • Yeah I quite like that. The matt black was sweet but bet its a pain to keep nice. Lack of reviews put me off as well, I'm still looking for a suitable bike.
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • diamonddog
    I've seen at least one in the Your Bikes section. I would rather ask them than wait to see what a reviewer decides.
  • blinddrew
    blinddrew Posts: 317
    I think it looks pretty nice, though I agree with the Cannondale comment
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • bikeit65
    Thats one nice bike, why do you think no one will do a review of this bike?
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• diamonddog
    Bikeit65 wrote:
    Thats one nice bike, why do you think no one will do a review of this bike?
    Planet X have not had a lot of them to sell from when they launched it and I suppose sales take priority. TBH I think the smaller bike suppliers are at the bottom of the list when it comes to reviews.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    My review.
    I have a Matt Black RT-58(bought in August) 10-speed and it's a great bike.I can only compare it to my Focus Variado but for me it's much more comfortable and very easy to ride longer distances on.I actually want to go on the road now whereas on the Focus it was a means to an end.
    I'm a Mountain biker first and roady 2nd but since getting the RT I'm riding more on the road 8)
  • diamonddog
    An honest review from an owner, IMO better than from a mag reviewer surely.
  • Spatulala
    I would give you an honest review of my bike, but because it's the first road bike I've ever owned, I'm not sure it would be as useful as the view of someone who reviews bikes for a living.
  • diamonddog
    Spatulala wrote:
    I would give you an honest review of my bike, but because it's the first road bike I've ever owned, I'm not sure it would be as useful as the view of someone who reviews bikes for a living.

Being an owner you will have a more in depth knowledge than someone who just has the bike for a short period IMO, so personally out of the two I would value your opinion the most, also remember that reviews are all subjective no matter who does them an actual owner or a reviewer. So why not give voice to your thoughts on the bike.
  • Spatulala
    Fair point. I know my bike inside out having ridden many '000s of miles on it the past 4 years. Not a PX though so would be off-topic somewhat ;)
  • sniper68
    Spatulala wrote:
    The trouble with people who review for a living is in many cases(magazines etc) they're bound by advertising so might give something a better review than they should if said product came from one of their main advertisers :wink:
    I could name a certain magazine and a certain manufacturer regarding MTBs for instance :wink:

Also an owner will give an review based on miles/time owned etc and not just one ride.
    I'm only 5 or 6 rides in on my RT but will happily give a full review after 6 months but I can't see my opinion changing much as it's been pretty much perfect straight out of the tin as it were. 8)
  • bikeit65
    Just a quick question, im 5ft 10ins and will be choosing a size 54cm RT58 but im a but unsure what size stem to order the 100 or the 110mm one, and advise folks?
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• diamonddog
    Measure the effective top tube length plus the stem length on your current bike then have a look at the RT58 top tube length and add on the stem length to give you the same, if you want the same set up that is.
  • sniper68
    It depends just how relaxed you want it to feel?
    I'm 5'-6.5" on a 52cm.I ordered instore and was told I should go for 80-100mm stem.I opted for a 80mm as I wanted it more "relaxed".Planet-X said I could change it if I wasn't happy(benefit of living 5 mins away :wink: ).The riding position is exactly what I was after so I'll be leaving it at 80mm 8)
  • bikeit65
    There is a few mm difference between the two frames the CAAD 10 is 545mm the RT 58 is 543, i used a 110mm stem on the CAAD 10 as i was having bad hand pain, longer stem solved this problem.
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    ibbo68 wrote:
    It depends just how relaxed you want it to feel?
    I'm 5'-6.5" on a 52cm.I ordered instore and was told I should go for 80-100mm stem.I opted for a 80mm as I wanted it more "relaxed".Planet-X said I could change it if I wasn't happy(benefit of living 5 mins away :wink: ).The riding position is exactly what I was after so I'll be leaving it at 80mm 8)

That's interesting as I'm a similar height...0.5 inch included!

Had an email about the new colour scheme yesterday and really like the look of it. Also clocked a Canyon AL Ultimate 9.0 Di2 for just over £1700 - and the only size available is small, so looks like its decision time.

Wish I was closer to PX
  • Frame looks quite chunky and over engineered, but it may also be design. Any Ideas of frame weight ?
  • bikeit65
    Trek Domane SL7 GEN4
    Planet X RT58
    Cannondale CAAD 10 2012.

• diamonddog
    Frame looks quite chunky and over engineered, but it may also be design. Any Ideas of frame weight ?
    Not sure on frame weight but the first ones that were sold were sub 16lb builds, the later releases have different components so are a bit heavier.
  • sniper68
    According to PX the frame is just under 1kg.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... e_and_fork
    Mine weighs 15.5lbs(using the stand on scales with and without bike method) I was going to get a mate to weigh it with his fishing scales to be exact but I'm not that worried :D
  • diamonddog
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Mine weighs 15.5lbs(using the stand on scales with and without bike method) I was going to get a mate to weigh it with his fishing scales to be exact but I'm not that worried :D
    Not far off the weight they quoted on first releases which was 15.82lb. :)
  • sniper68
    diamonddog wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Not far off the weight they quoted on first releases which was 15.82lb. :)

Feels MUCH lighter than it's predecessor(Focus Variado) and TBH once I've put 2 water bottles and my slow 14st frame on it whether it's 12.5 or 15.5lbs won't really matter that much :roll:
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Seen one in the Planet X showroom today .. Really like the paint job ... Colours work really well. Not sure it's for everyone tbf, very striking though :)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • sniper68
    Philly8mt wrote:
    Seen one in the Planet X showroom today .. Really like the paint job ... Colours work really well. Not sure it's for everyone tbf, very striking though :)
    I was going to wait when I bought mine but as I was going to the Lakes for a week(and wanted to take the bike)and like black bikes(even though I have a Lime green mtb) I couldn't be bothered to see one in the flesh.
    Now I've seen one I like it...but not necessarily enough to buy one :o